MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Default "Relatively" successful weekend

So, Easter weekend is always the date for our annual family fishing trip and picnic, plus Sunday lunch after church with BBQ. The entire thing nearly killed me this year, church Thursday night, fishing Friday from daylight to 3:00 in the afternoon, church Friday night, mow three acres of grass, set up cookers and prep meat Saturday, sunrise service Sunday morning and cook four racks of ribs, four links of sausage, four beer can chickens and a 9# pork butt for 1:00 lunch with my wife's family. After six months' worth of cancer treatments, I just don't have the stamina/strength I used to. Everything came out good with the exception of two racks of spares that just wouldn't get tender, even after 7 hours on the offset. Finally got tired of wasting wood and stuck them in the oven for another 2 hours at 250. They ended up being edible but nothing to brag about. Pulled pork was very good, chicken moist and tasty, two racks of spares were bite off the bone tender and the homemade sausage was, well, sausage. First time I used a pan to wrap the butt and it worked really well, leaving enough juice to moisten the pork just right. Attached are a couple of photos of my cook setup with the new Coleman canopy, along with one of my oldest daughter with her first big bass (3#) and my two-year-old grandson and his dad at the lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-20 11 03 45 (2).jpg (82.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Canopy2.jpg (71.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Good Friday Photos2.jpg (52.7 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Texas Turtle; 04-21-2014 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Texas Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

I'm sure you were/are exhausted...and it seems like you're less than happy with the ribs...but the family being together cancels out all the less than fun parts. Remember.....these ARE the good old days....

Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
it seems like you're less than happy with the ribs...but the family being together cancels out all the less than fun parts. Remember.....these ARE the good old days....
Ribs are the one thing I can usually count on being pretty much perfect (IMHO), so having those two racks turn out like jerky after the customary 4 - 5 hours on the pit is pretty disappointing. They were the ones I bought Saturday night at Wally World so I wonder if they were jus tough by nature or something. You're right, these ARE the good old days, especially since my grandson was born one week after my cancer surgery. Teaching him to fish and hunt and giving him something to remember me by is my new mission in life.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Looks like y'all had a great time (despite them uncooperative ribs).

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Looks like a Great time Nice collection of cookers Hope the CA treatment is working out
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like everyone had a good time as well as some good food! Slow down a little and take of yourself.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Better to have the rest of that day with 2 bad racks than 2 good racks and none of the rest of it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

Its all about family. Looks like a great time. Hope all is well with your health.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. I don't mean to be a Wendy Whiner, because I am blessed to be doing so well at this point. I think it's just hard for any of us to accept our limitations as we get older.