Corned beef

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was thinking about smoking a corned beef brisket today. Any suggestions on temp, time, wrap vs unwrapped

I smoke corned beef for pastrami...
I smoke it till around 170, put it on a rack in a foil pan with a bit of liquid in the pan but not enough to touch the roast...Cover the pan and cook to 200...Then into the fridge to run through the slicer the next day...

Not sure if that's what you have in mind but it's what I do...

I smoke corned beef for pastrami...
I smoke it till around 170, put it on a rack in a foil pan with a bit of liquid in the pan but not enough to touch the roast...Cover the pan and cook to 200...Then into the fridge to run through the slicer the next day...

Not sure if that's what you have in mind but it's what I do...

Kinda like an oven corned beef not pastrami like.

Kinda like an oven corned beef not pastrami like.

Smoked corned beef with a pepper / coriander rub is pastrami. If you're putting it in the smoker, wrap it tightly to keep the smoke out if you don't like it, or just roast it in the oven as you mentioned

I really like to smoke those with some pastrami rub. If you have one from the store, you probably want to soak it in water for 4 hours, drain and repeat 2 or 3 more times so you can pull some salt out. Then season with pastrami rub the day before (I use a Katz deli imitation rub) and smoke on low from 200 to 250 until it hits close to 190 or 195 and no further so it has a little texture and wont fall apart.

Pastrami from store bought corned beef brisket

I've made several different type meat pastrami's in the past: goose, elk, antelope, and venison. I did the corning myself and then followed with some home made rub and a smoke in the Bradley smoker. All turned out excellent.

Now that I have a pellet grill, I want to try a pastrami from a store bought corned beef brisket. I'm thinking that I should do the smoke at about 220 - 225 until the IT hits 160-165. Should I then wrap it as in brisket and continue to cook on the grill until the IT hits what - 190, 200, 204?

If I wrap it, should I add a cup of beef broth as I did on my brisket?

Pastrami sandwich is one of my all time favorites with a Reuben at the top.

Looking for answers and would like to do next week.

I plan to apply the rub, vacuum seal, and refrigerate for about 2 to 3 days before the smoke.

Smoked corned beef with a pepper / coriander rub is pastrami.

True. If you add certain spices, smoked corned beef is pastrami. However, you can most certainly smoke corned beef and NOT make pastrami. It's all a matter of spices.

I'm a rebel, I smoked corned beefs and call it pastrami! :razz:

I usually slice mine, so I don't take it as high of temps as a brisket. Though this thread has got me questioning that.

I got a tip on another pellet grill website that pointed me to this link: A Smoked Pastrami Recipe That's Close To Katz's
I'm going to give it a try starting the process this weekend by putting on the rub and then let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. Then I'll do the smoke early next week. Pictures will follow. :grin:

I got a tip on another pellet grill website that pointed me to this link: A Smoked Pastrami Recipe That's Close To Katz's
I'm going to give it a try starting the process this weekend by putting on the rub and then let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. Then I'll do the smoke early next week. Pictures will follow. :grin:

I did not care for meatheads pastrami recipe. I found it overly salty and lacking depth

Intersting

I did not care for meatheads pastrami recipe. I found it overly salty and lacking depth
You didn't say, so I'll ask. Did you do your own brining or did you use a store bought corned beef? From what I've read so far, the salt content can vary widely in store bought corned beef. Meathead's recipe and others all indicate the importance of rinsing/soaking the corned beef to get rid of the salt. I plan on soaking with a couple changes in the water over a couple of days before applying the rub.

Also, I really didn't understand your use of the term "lacking depth." I'm a newby to pellet grill smoking and that term went way over my head. Could you explain that a little more? Pastrami is absolutely one of my all time best sandwich meats.

Also, stan5677 never said if he did the pastrami smoke or not. Curious to know if it turned out okay if he did it.

lacking depth as in flat and uninspired. the brine is mostly pickling spice. the rub just doesn't have much going on......all my opinion.

his actual recipe is all over the place and more of an authors story of his quest to replicate Katz then a practical recipe.

we all have our own methods. some for convenience, others for taste. I bbq until it breaks the stall. I start real low to get some smoke and then get the temp high enough to get a reasonably crispy bark(the steam softens it back up some). when it cools enough I slice and vac seal onto portions that can then be steam finished until tender. when you do it whole like he meathead suggests it takes forever, softens the crust and makes too much (I don't eat 4 lbs of pastrami in one sitting)

we all have our own methods. some for convenience, others for taste. I bbq until it breaks the stall. I start real low to get some smoke and then get the temp high enough to get a reasonably crispy bark(the steam softens it back up some). when it cools enough I slice and vac seal onto portions that can then be steam finished until tender.

Yup just like that...........

Clarification

lacking depth as in flat and uninspired. the brine is mostly pickling spice. the rub just doesn't have much going on......all my opinion.

his actual recipe is all over the place and more of an authors story of his quest to replicate Katz then a practical recipe.

we all have our own methods. some for convenience, others for taste. I bbq until it breaks the stall. I start real low to get some smoke and then get the temp high enough to get a reasonably crispy bark(the steam softens it back up some). when it cools enough I slice and vac seal onto portions that can then be steam finished until tender. when you do it whole like he meathead suggests it takes forever, softens the crust and makes too much (I don't eat 4 lbs of pastrami in one sitting)
Thank you Sir for that clarification; much appreciated. The only other pastrami recipe I ever used was from bbq.about.com that I found in 2012. They also supplied a rub recipe. The corning process I use is from a departed friend who gave it to me back in the 1980s and it was used mostly for waterfowl. Works great on just about any game meat that I've tried in the past. Didn't know about this site back then. I haven't done much smoking in the past 5 or 6 years, but now that I've purchased a pellet grill with smoking functions, I'll get back into it. So, even at my tender young age of 76, I'm not senile enough yet that I can't still learn some new tricks. Hope you'll bare with me while I work past this stage. And thanks again for the clarification. :hail:

I really like to smoke those with some pastrami rub. If you have one from the store, you probably want to soak it in water for 4 hours, drain and repeat 2 or 3 more times so you can pull some salt out.

+1 on this comment. It really helps to soak in water, rinse, repeat just as described!

For pastrami it's been a long time since I've used any other finishing method than a pressure cooker, although many folks swear by a steamer. When I make the basic corned beef I generally cook it in a pressure cooker as well.

Yeah doing mine in the instant pot as well.. EZ Peezy..

Yeah doing mine in the instant pot as well.. EZ Peezy..
Any chance you could PM that process to me? We got an Instant Pot from our daughter for Christmas 2017 and have only used it twice. I have no clue about how to use it to finish a pastrami.

Back