BGE Owners - Turbo Grate Question

Jester

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I ordered a large Big Green Egg which will arrive in about 10 days. So in the mean time I've been pouring over posts/comments about the BGE. Several folks have mentioned the use of the Turbo Grate from The BBQ Guru. Is this grate worth dropping $45.00 plus $12.00 in shipping? I'm all about reaching smoking nirvana, just don't want to throw away money foolishly.

i've never used one, but i'd say try it without first, then if you feel the need, go ahead and get one.

i use a wiggle rod up thru the bottom of the charcoal grate & the ash removal tool from the top as a stirrer to help knock ash down to the bottom of the egg if i need to during a cook. once you get the hang of building your fire with the fresh, large lump on the bottom, and medium and small used lump on top, you shouldn't have any problems.

a lot of small lump pieces on the bottom will choke the air supply from below. you'll find the lump towards the bottom center burns the most and that's where you need to remove and put in the larger, fresh pieces to maintain airflow for the next burn.

The guru might be worth it, but I've got a couple of 20+ hour burns without any help. Like Rick said, use a wiggle rod every now and then and you'll be fine. And I suggest ordering a Thirdhand grate lifter from Thirdeye. I'm not sure if he's selling wiggle rods or not. Both are my most used eggcessories. Also, Tom (tjv here) has a site. www.eggaccessories.com. He has a high quality ss grate and a few very nice accessories. He can make you go broke with all the cool egg toys. :)

I've got the turbo grate and I could really go either way with it for every day use. For long (read - overnight) cooks it works well. I also use the Guru with it for overnighters, so I sleep very well.

I also have one of Tom's setups, and I love it. :cool:

Back