Smoked Chicken Help!

bggarric

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,
So the inaugural run on my Primo went pretty well. Put a pork butt on at about 1 am last night and pulled it off at noon today. Made for good eating.

Sorry no pics (obviously it didn't happen!).

Anyway, tomorrow I'd like to smoke 2 whole chickens. I've been trying to find a consistent method (like I did for the pork butts) but haven't yet from searching.

I'd like to brine them tonight, any good, simple brine recipes?

Also, at what temperature and how long should a whole bird be smoked?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Best simple brine for chicken (IMO) is 3/4 cup kosher salt and 1 cup brown sugar per gallon of water. Figure out how much water you'll need to cover the chickens completely and adjust accordingly. Brine overnight (10-16 hours) and you're good to go.
Temps and time for chickens is always a big debate, all depending on how you want your skin to come out. If you want a crispy skin, you aren't going to get it at 225-250. The meat will taste just fine, but skin will be a bit "rubbery" due to the low temps. One compromise is to start them low-n-slow" for an hour or so them bump your temps up to 300+ to crisp the skin up until done. Or, you could just go high heat all the way and run them 300+ for the entire smoke. If you don't give a flip about skin texture and want max smoke flavor, then just low-n-slow the whole smoke.
Personally, I'll start at 225-250 for an hour then ramp up to 300+ to finish.
This isn't competition chicken BTW, just home cooking.

If you're cooking them whole, then indirect. If you want to spatchcock them or cut them into piece, then direct.

Back