Are you a pitmaster?

I would have to say yes, thinking more so now since watching BBQ Pitmasters. I look like a Pro compared to a few of those cooks!

Yep, I am a pitmaster.

I feel comfortable with cooking, I have cooked on many different cookers, under many different circumstances, and have produced good food many different times. I have cooked over live fire for over 35 years now, I figure I know enough to call that title.

Am I done learning, nope. But, I think a true master of anything, understands that there is far more to learn, than there is already known.

I agree with a few others above... no matter how good you are, you never master it.

I sometimes correlate the art of pizza and BBQ.

pizza legend Chris Bianco said it best in an interview once:

"Chris Bianco: You never master it, I don't care how many lifetimes, and that's the beauty of it. You see, that's the slippery slope, where people say 'master this' - there's no master; you're in a relationship with something. That's what's really beautiful about it, it's always bigger than you. It needs you, you need it. There's no difference in any relationship. There's no mastering of it - you engage. You engage with it on a daily level. Take pizza, we have our objective, our intention, our medium. Our cooking medium, what we're able to work with: flour, water, condition, time, audience and what their expectations are, and what's our intention - and really being clear with that intention - and serving that intention and staying focused on it. It's very similar to music or sports in that way, where you stay focused on your mission and know that you might get better at something, but the minute you believe you've mastered it, it'll show you who's boss. I've had a beautiful relationship with flour, water, yeast, salt and the human experience.

Vinny, I love that statement, I have seen it before and it makes sense. But, in the sense that there is a master, an apprentice, a novice, the sentence lacks definition. It is not, for instance, like a relationship with a person, where there is true give and take.

Cooking allows for control of the elements that enter into each cook. While I cannot control everything, I can control my response to each situation, which allows me to create good food. This is Mastery, in the same sense that any craftsman is a master. Doesn't mean you are all knowing or all seeing, it just means you can get the job done more often than not. You can run the show.

I'll be a pitmaster when other recognized pitmasters, who know a lot more than me and cook BBQ a lot better than me, start calling me one.

Until then I'm just a guy who loves to hang out, BBQ, eat and drink beer.

Bob

Vinny, I love that statement, I have seen it before and it makes sense. But, in the sense that there is a master, an apprentice, a novice, the sentence lacks definition. It is not, for instance, like a relationship with a person, where there is true give and take.

Cooking allows for control of the elements that enter into each cook. While I cannot control everything, I can control my response to each situation, which allows me to create good food. This is Mastery, in the same sense that any craftsman is a master. Doesn't mean you are all knowing or all seeing, it just means you can get the job done more often than not. You can run the show.

you nailed it here.. controlling the response to a situation as best possible and get it done more often than not (but not necessarily always) and I think that is in part was the quote was saying, just in his style.

I AM a PITMASTER........no one scratches em like me...........that's the topic right:oops:

I am the master of my pit. I think that I make good Q, and can usually handle any situation that arises. Do I have all of the answers? No, but I don't think anyone knows everything. I believe that if you are cooking good food for friends and family, you are the master of your pit.

^^I heard that too Vinny.....and I believe it, Brother! The Funk is a strong force.

Am I a postmaster.... Not by a long shot! But love to cook anything on a grill or smoker for friends and family! Not a better feeling in the world than to watch people pig out on something I have cooked!

I'm workin' on it...:cool: I can cook on WSM's, BGE's, MAK's (Pellet Pooper), Gassers, Kettles, and UDS's...have yet to cook on a stick burner...:oops:

Until I start being confident rather than nervous about the outcome when I start the fire, l'll never consider myself a pitmaster. Thanks in large part to the Brethren, I am becoming more proficient with my stickburner, WSMs, gasser, and charcoal grills. I think pitmaster is one of those revered titles that must be bestowed by others. (My sig pretty much sums it up.)

Part of me says no, I still have lots to learn. Part of me remembers that I know how many split logs it takes to get the SKD up to 225-250*, and when to move them around to crank the temps up to almost 300 for smoked chicken.

Im not even master of my own domain.

Like someone already stated, im a pyro, with a love for cooking, i love toys, tools, and smoked meat. Q combines all of this, keeps me busy, and pleases my small crowd.

It is my addiction, well, that and budweiser. See, life is good.

Oh wait... but let's not forget about the legendary Pitmaster T.

he is the real deal.... just a freak of nature... I heard a rumor about him once that he just slapped a pork butt with his pimp hand and it got so hot, the bone pulled out and it was done....

:heh:

That wasn't his hand!

Back