MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : samichlaus
Default Frying a Turkey. Brine or Inject?

I'll be frying a couple small birds this Turkey day. Would you guys brine the birds? Inject the birds? Both?
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Frying I like to inject much more than just a brine.
Just post two injection recipes on this thread.
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...ewtopic&t=4274
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I inject. If I had fresh, minimally processed, birds I'd probably brine and inject - I figure the turkeys I buy already have enough brine in them.

I have been using commercial Cajun Butter and Garlic Butter injection marinades and have been pleased.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Inject

I just inject. Most of the people I know down here in New Orleans just inject....the commercial cajun butter mix is pretty good...and I've played around with making my own versions of it...
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

When Frying I only inject. I usually just use Tony C's creole butter. Have never had any complaints s of yet. I like to inject the night before and then rub the outer skin and let sit overnight int he fridge.

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
jsn1511
On the road to being a farker

If you brine make sure the brine does not have any sugars in it otherwise it will severly carmalize the birds outer layer. Now if you don't mind not eating the outside then don't worry about it, because the inside is still good, it just doesn't look very appetizing from the outside.
jsn1511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn1511
If you brine make sure the brine does not have any sugars in it otherwise it will severly carmalize the birds outer layer. Now if you don't mind not eating the outside then don't worry about it, because the inside is still good, it just doesn't look very appetizing from the outside.
might lock out the smoke flavor too if it carmalizes early. (might? thats probably an Alton Brown question, but it seems logical)

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #8
jsn1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn1511
might lock out the smoke flavor too if it carmalizes early. (might? thats probably an Alton Brown question, but it seems logical)
Do you get a smoke flavor from frying? Have i been doing something wrong?

Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Shoot, I just skimmed down and read only your post.

Thought it was inject then smoke

My bad, disregard, or add liquid smoke to the oil :)

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
jsn1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Shoot, I just skimmed down and read only your post.

Thought it was inject then smoke

My bad, disregard, or add liquid smoke to the oil :)
LOL, ok i was like what the hell i got ripped off on my fryer...

Old 11-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

Note to self: Work on inventing a fryer that gives food smoke flavor. Brilliant!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

one real important thoing when you fry.. Do it FAR FAR away from the house. I fried a turkey in on the alkway nexgt to the house. The fryer was about 8 feet from the siding. The oily steam that escaped into the air attached itself to the side of my house and after that every atmospheric particle has attached itself to the white vinyl siding. I didnt notice until a w2eek or so later when the side of the house was covered with this grey oily residue that embedded itself onto the vinyl siding. Tried everythoing to remove it... pressure washing, gasoline, different soaps.. the only thing that did it was some grill cleaner which also took she sheen off the siding. the spot was abotu 6x10 so took alot of grill cleaner.

and to answer your question, I injected one and brined the other in a honey/maple broine. the honey maple one was charred beyond recognition but great inside. JSN's explanation answers twhy that happened.. I just thought my initial temps were too high.... but carmelization makes more sense.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellybro
Note to self: Work on inventing a fryer that gives food smoke flavor. Brilliant!
put a few drops of liquid smoke in the injection mixture or brine. Or better yet use tobasco's chiptole sauce.
http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_tent/...pper_sauce.cfm" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.tabasco.c..._sauce.cfm</a>
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I dont fry, brine or inject ( I only do frozen butterball turks) and,,,,just spin on my35 year old charbroil over a pan of water with whatever is real old in the 'matics spice rack and use apple or plum for smoke and Kingsford for heat.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #15
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
I dont fry, brine or inject ( I only do frozen butterball turks) and,,,,just spin on my35 year old charbroil over a pan of water with whatever is real old in the 'matics spice rack and use apple or plum for smoke and Kingsford for heat.
Big Al, good to hear from you Brother! I'm a little jealous, wish I had a good way to spin a bird over wood :( We didn't finish the rotisserie mod in your absence

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote