MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default When catering ribs?

I'm thinking about adding ribs to my catering menu for next year and I have a few questions for those that do them. If doing spare ribs how do you serve the whole spares or St Louis cut? How many bones do you figure per person for the price you charge? For me like when doing pulled pork I allow guests to have at the buffet and some may take a 3oz sandwich and others may eat 1/2lb. I figure and cook a 1/3lb per person and I have yet to come close to running out. I'd like to have a menu for next year with a meat selection and a price for a choice of 1, 2 or 3 meats with a list of meats but I am worried say if a group of 50 people choose spare ribs as the only meat then how many bones per person to figure for that. I have seen posts where people say 2 or 3 bones when there are 2 meats but what if it is the only meat? Thanks for your input...
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

3 bones - $7
1/2 rack 12
full rack 22
all st louis

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Jacked Up, are those catering prices? That what I sell them for when vending. I guess what I am looking for is how many bones would you figure per person for buffet if ribs were the only meat?
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
SouthernMagicBBQ
Got Wood.

When cooking ribs at family gatherings and other functions, I cook whole slabs, no St. Louis or Memphis cuts. If cooking ribs only, I figure half slab per person plus 3 slabs extra for the pit. It always works out fine with maybe a slab or 2 left over for me,,lol. $15 a slab on reunion/gatherings. Anything else they go for $18 like everyone else charges for catering or vending.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

We will stand a serve the ribs (one person can easily hand them a plate with their portioned ribs on the plate) and self serve buffet the rest. It only takes two or three big eaters to screw up your count.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

We figure two bones per person when doing two meats, but if you are not serving, you better plan on 6 bones per person, because that is what people will take. We did a benefit for a winery where the owner wanted people to serve themselves. I saw one lady take nearly an entire rack of ribs, so we had to immediately step in and serve, or they would have been gone before 75% of the people got to them.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

ribs are tricky serving as the stand alone meat. Bring about what Dave suggested.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

If it's cost plus fine, load em up, if not ya better serve them 2-3 bones per..
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
We figure two bones per person when doing two meats, but if you are not serving, you better plan on 6 bones per person, because that is what people will take. We did a benefit for a winery where the owner wanted people to serve themselves. I saw one lady take nearly an entire rack of ribs, so we had to immediately step in and serve, or they would have been gone before 75% of the people got to them.
up north this also is exactly what will happen, old granny is a big eater when self serve..we will start the plates for them with 2 bones on..just like the chicken be sure to qtr first cause they take a whole half and eat a wing..if time permits and it is self serve cut single bones if you serve cut 2 bones..
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

however on pricing we charge 20bucks for 5 to 20 ...18 bucks for 20 to 50 a rack unless they order 50 or more 16bucks
Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
We will stand a serve the ribs (one person can easily hand them a plate with their portioned ribs on the plate) and self serve buffet the rest. It only takes two or three big eaters to screw up your count.
We serve this method also and cut them California style.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
We serve this method also and cut them California style.
Allright WTF is California style?

You mean Hollywood cut? So you lose every other bone?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

OK Hollywood but that just sounds a bit limp wristed . haha!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Caseyjoenz
On the road to being a farker

I figure 1/3 rack per person, unless I offer ribs with another meat, then more like 1/4 rack per person. Never had a problem.

Medium Spicewine
3 WSMs

www.smokincaboose.com
Caseyjoenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
OK Hollywood but that just sounds a bit limp wristed . haha!
I figured it was either that or the Santa barbara cut that Farmer John does with their supermarket spares...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95269
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote