Oh my! I didn't think my entry would cause such a stir! Poor Chris. He takes the time to help a girl out and you guys are being so mean to him! He's such a sweetie and let me use his equipment (BBQ equipment!). I live in an apartment and we're not allowed to have our own grill ever since some genius started his balcony on fire!

Chris was very patient with me. He help me get my fire burning and was there as I prepared my entry and was willing to lend a hand whenever I needed it. There were a few times when he would come up behind me and reach around to help me hold the knife properly. I just wish that you had taken your cell phone out of your pocket, Chris. It kept poking me in the butt! :oops:

Anyway... I hope that you guys enjoyed my first throw down entry! And please don't pick on Chris. He's special and you guys should be nice to him!

Oh! and Holey... Don't be jealous! Chris and I are so much alike sometime I wonder if we aren't the same person, but you're still my sweetie and I have a special place for you! :wink:

Thanks Ginger! I had a lot of fun too. Until yesterday I wasn't really sure you were even real, but just a picture on a website.

My phone was inside charging, so that was probably my wallet, or maybe my keys.

You will always be my favorite first time entry!

Sent from my Reynold's Foil Hat using Boil-A-Rib 2

Today, I had planned to honor the CT Kings' memory with
a Stellar Feast and dazzle you, my Friends, with pictures of
dazzling do......My Camera batteries died at the start of
of the cook and all I managed to get was a few pit pix.....

DrumPit_Line.jpg

leaning_tower_of_DrumPit.jpg

A buddy stopped by and snapped this for me with his cell......

chicken_o.jpg

I'd like to think the King would approve.......

Well after seeing the guy so many times, I couldn't help but notice the giant moose knuckle (no relation) he had going on, and I'm thinking there's no way you missed it either, which makes me wonder why it's been posted so many times... :confused:

You can clearly see it in this picture if you look closely at the yo-yo smuggling area.
CT_Elvis.jpg

The way I figure it, he's walking around with that knife in his hand so's he's ready to eat the next thing he sees...

Now, The King strikes me as a real Meat & Puhtatuh's kind of fellow, this guy seems like he has no real ability to discern right from so wrong, so I choose to cook for The King, but wanted to give it a name that this fella would understand. :thumb:

Moose Knuckle Beef Ribs it is!

Got the CI hot with a (un)healthy helping of EVOO, buddah' and garlic

2012-05-12_10-22-31_HDR-1.jpg

2012-05-12_10-28-14_HDR-1.jpg

Added the sliced taters and some S&P and Dill

2012-05-12_10-31-52_HDR.jpg

After tossing them to coat them well, I set them down on the charcoal grate so the Rib-O-Lator could take the ribs for a ride

2012-05-12_11-24-01_HDR.jpg

I needed a binder for the Memphis style rub I used, so a little bacon grease was massaged onto the ribs, as the heat hit them they got real purdy lookin

2012-05-12_11-52-45_HDR.jpg

I got busy and forgot to take pics of the taters gettin foil'd. Also didn't get any pics of frying the taters up in more butter to crisp them once the ribs were done... :rolleyes:

I did find the time to put together a meal fit for The King!

Something told me that The King would have liked a shot of bourbon to go with his favorite cola and this fella would have approved of the Big Butz Original sauce.

CT_Elvis.jpg

Please use this pic

2012-05-12_16-32-16_HDR.jpg

Thanks for lookin! :becky:

knucklehead-
I know it might sound weird, the food looks absolutely awesome but, I'm more interested in where the heck you got that glass! :becky:

One of my favorite glasses, actually I have two. found them at a junk antique shop in Libby, MT a couple of years ago, cost me $25 (way more than I would usually spend on a couple of glasses!)

One of them promptly broke at the hook on the large glass, and one of the shot glasses has a slight crack where the loop connects. Hoping to find someone that could repair them someday. Needless to say, I don't get them out very often.

There are no markings on the bottoms, but the appear to be at least partially hand made, and the rims are ground, no seams anywhere that I can see either... Maybe it's the amateur alcoholic in me, but I thought they were an awesome find! :thumb:

The Jack glass is for size ref

2012-05-13_22-29-37_HDR.jpg

One thing I found out in researching this throwdown is that Elvis not only had a great appreciation for southern food, but also loved great food combinations. Of course, one of his most widely known combinations is the peanut-butter-banana sandwich fried with a whole stick of butter. I had to expand on this fabulous theme, but I also wanted to focus on dessert. Looking at these Elvis impersonators made me realize that these guys didn't just get that way on fried chicken. They have a genuine love for the finer things in life and definitely cannot say "no" to dessert. They go back for seconds, thirds, ... heck, they probably eat the whole cake, and when given a choice between pie and cake, their answer is always "yes!" So that is the theme that I chose for this entry. I didn't want to have to ask "pie or cake?" so I combined the two together to make a taste sensation fit for the King.

I begin with a classic Southern specialty of peanut pie. I use a homemade crust in a small pie tin:

IMG_5366.jpg

I mix up a peanut filling. I've never had peanut pie before and this one I found called for cinnamon and a dash of cayenne.

IMG_5368.jpg

and make a caramel coating to top it all off but you'll see that later

IMG_5371.jpg

For the Brethren, I smoke this pie to doneness, about an hour:

IMG_5373.jpg

I'm not too concerned about a fancy crust, because it is going to be hidden.

IMG_5374.jpg

I then make some chocolate cake batter and use my extra deep cake pan. I spread down a thin layer

IMG_5376.jpg

and lay that lovely peanut pie on top and press it down a little:

IMG_5377.jpg

Then fill up the sides and cover it up:

IMG_5378.jpg

I bake this for about 3/4 of an hour:

IMG_5380.jpg

I frost this with a chocolate ganache

IMG_5412.jpg

Here is that sauce to go on top:

IMG_5422.jpg

Of course this wouldn't be complete without some butter fried banana topping:

IMG_5421.jpg

Probably this would be enough to serve one Elvis impersonator

IMG_5424.jpg

We require a significantly smaller slice:

IMG_5426.jpg

So here you can see the Southern-peanut-pie-inside-a-chocolate-topped-with-caramel-and-fried-banana-fit-for-an-oversized-Elvis-impersonator cake:

IMG_5433.jpg

Thanks for looking!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

:clap::clap2::whoo::thumb::hungry:

You made a Pi-cake. !!!!???????

A Farking Pi-cake!

Wowser!!! And with Gore on a diet too?

:tsk:

Last edited: