BBQ - in New York!!!

B

BrooklynQ

Yes folks, it's finally happening here. From Newsday.

Urban barbecue
New Yorkers take a fast liking to slow smoking

BY JOSH OZERSKY

April 13, 2005

Barbecue is booming in New York these days. The perfume of the pits wafts from Woodbury woodpiles and West Village meeting places, from mobile pits in Rego Park and Staten Island to multimillion- dollar restaurants all over Manhattan.

Purists have debated whether any of it is truly authentic. But when Kansas City's legendary "Baron of Barbecue," Paul Kirk, opened a Manhattan restaurant earlier this month, no one could doubt that barbecue had truly arrived.

It was a long time coming.

Those who love barbecue as babies love milk can remember all too well what it was like just a few short years ago. "English Bob" Pearson, as he was sometimes called by his fans, was the only game in town, with restaurants in Long Island City and Jackson Heights, both now closed.

He set the standard for the genuine article - no dry rub, no glaze, sauce on the side - and continues the tradition at his new place, Pearson's Texas Barbecue, 170 E. 81st St. in Manhattan.

It wasn't, and isn't, the sticky-sweet, mushy dish soaked in a cloying sauce that is served in so many franchise restaurants. This was true barbecue, cooked for many hours in a transforming bath of hardwood smoke.

Classic pit smoking changes meat, rendering some of its fat and flavoring what remains, tenderizing the meat as it shrinks and giving the final result a pink ring meaningful to pitheads. Today, a new barbecue restaurant seems to open every month, with the wildly successful Daisy May's BBQ U.S.A., Blue Smoke, Dinosaur BBQ and now Paul Kirk's R.U.B. (Righteous Urban Barbecue), all in Manhattan, being the most notable.

Smoking, or nonsmoking?

But few have adopted Pearson's no-frills aesthetic: most of the new barbecues are as ambitious about their sauces, marinades and spice rubs as they are about the smoking process itself.

"The way I look at it, barbecue doesn't just cook itself. It's a real craft," says Adam Perry Lang of Daisy May's BBQ U.S.A., a classically trained chef who was once a protégé of Daniel Boulud. Perry doesn't like an overly smoky barbecue and so uses wood fuel that has already burned down in his secret, self-designed smoker.

For others, like Pearson and John Stage of Dinosaur, the smoky taste is the essence of barbecue. Indeed, as soon as you walk into Dinosaur, the unmistakable smell of hickory smoke hits you like the remembered face of an old flame.

The smell is the first giveaway that barbecue, in the traditional Southern sense, is something different from what New Yorkers are used to. Says one of the area's best barbecuers, Rick Anselmi of Poppa Rick's Fine Foods in Woodbury, "If you're born here, you have no conception of what barbecue is.''

It's not backyard grilling

For Anselmi, the barbecue epiphany happened 10 years ago on a trip to Houston. "Being from Long Island, I thought barbecue meant grilling in the backyard," he says. "But when you get down there and consider what they consider barbecue, it's a revelation.

"This old man stood by a hinged oil drum for hours and hours and let me taste the brisket he was cooking. It was as tender as a pot roast, but it didn't have a boiled taste. This is a piece of brisket? It was a fascination to me, it really was."

Barbecue hits New York

For many New Yorkers, barbecue is something they've heard about but possibly never had. That is, many never had it until three events in the summer of 2003 helped the current barbecue explosion reach critical mass.

On June 2, Danny Meyer's Big Apple Block Party, sponsored by Blue Smoke, was the Woodstock of New York barbecue. It brought some of the country's most famous pitmasters from their homes in Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina and other trans-Hudson barbecue capitals. A couple of weeks later, on June 21, the first annual Grill Kings Long Island BBQ Cook-off was held in Eisenhower Park and Will Breakstone of Islip emerged the winner.

And on Aug. 16, on Ward's Island, Travis Mills and Robert Richter, two young local barbecue enthusiasts, threw BBQ-NYC, a cult event as memorable in its own way as Meyer's extravaganza.

All three events were repeated last year and are planned for this summer as well. It's June 11 and 12 for the Big Apple Block Party, July 23 and 24 for Grill Kings Long Island BBQ Cook-Off. No date is set yet for the BBQ-NYC event. (Last year's Big Apple Block Party was a riot scene, with endless snaking lines and barbecues pressed to capacity, featuring smoked brisket, hot links, pulled pork, and, of course, spareribs.) Barbecue in New York is still experiencing growing pains. Many of the restaurants that are opening struggle, both with the cooking process and with the expenses involved in slow-smoking and the air-cleaning technology it requires. And not a few home barbecuers have spent 12 to 15 hours on a brisket, gathered a crowd of friends and neighbors around, only to find a bitter, sooty piece of meat to show for it.

But at the end of the day, most everyone bitten by the barbecue bug seems to think that the trouble is worth it.

Al Horowitz, of Smokin' Al's Famous BBQ Joint in Bay Shore, sums it up like this: "It does take special time and attention. Anybody can flip some meat on a grill, but the TLC, the patience and time barbecue takes is what makes it worthwhile. You're really doing something special."

Josh Ozersky is a regular contributor to Newsday.

BARBECUE IN YOUR BACKYARD

Most everyone has some kind of experience with cookouts. And some ambitious backyard barbecuers even have cooked with indirect heat, the secret of real barbecue.

But what about those special times, when you want real barbecue, slow-smoked by a master, at your party? No problem.

Big Island Barbecue, a competitive duo headed by Rob Richter of Rego Park, is the only team from the area to have ever competed in the Jack Daniels World Championship, the so-called Super Bowl of BBQ in Lynchburg, Tenn. For about $40 a head, Big Island will bring its 19-foot-long Lang cooker and slow smoke brisket, pulled pork, baby back ribs and chicken over cherry wood, or even prepare custom-grilled items like salmon or vegetables. Check for local outdoor cooking regulations.

Smokin Joe's BBQ, of Staten Island, doesn't cook on-site, but has a more elaborate menu that it will prepare, then bring to your home. Along with brisket, ribs and pulled pork, it offers a wide range of sides, tapas, crab boils and numerous grilling options, from $22 a head.

Both companies have the added bonus of being run by native New Yorkers with an abiding love of barbecue cooking. Big Island Barbecue: 718-997-8572; Smokin Joe's BBQ: 718-948-3340, or online at www.smokin joesbbq.com.

BrooklynQ said:
And not a few home barbecuers have spent 12 to 15 hours on a brisket, gathered a crowd of friends and neighbors around, only to find a bitter, sooty piece of meat to show for it.

Quite a few brothers started off like this didn't they?

you can't smoke a cigarette indoors in NYC but you can smoke barbecue. it's a one sided trade that might start New Yorkers thinking like the rest of flyover country.
Lets hope the EPA dosen't get wind of this.

BrooklynQ said:
bittertruth said:
you can't smoke a cigarette indoors in NYC but you can smoke barbecue.

And this is a GOOD thing.
I'm not so sure. I am a non smoker and i do enjoy a smoke free environment, however i don't like the gubm'nt telling people how to run their businesses. Here in NC where tobacco is king, we have no such laws and i just avoid establishments that do a pour job of clearing it away.

I used to feel that way too, but everytime I travel outside NY and wind up in a restaraunt with smoker/non-smoker sections, I notice that the smoke never stays in the smoking section. It's nice not having to think about it. Now - the no smoking in bars rules seem absurd to me.

A couple of weeks later, on June 21, the first annual Grill Kings Long Island BBQ Cook-off was held in Eisenhower Park and Will Breakstone of Islip emerged the winner.
This Dude is really up to date :twisted:
"PooBah and Krew" did a little something there in 2004 :wink:

Whole article gives a great insight into the NE/NY "situation" with real Que.
Puts a lot of things I see and hear into perspective.

I am SOOOOO THANKFUL to live in real Que Country :lol:

TIM

BrooklynQ said:
kapndsl said:
Whole article gives a great insight into the NE/NY "situation" with real Que.
Puts a lot of things I see and hear into perspective.

Ok TIM...
EXPLAIN yourself :twisted:
Sure-
Pretty obvious I thought.
Author says NYC used to have little or no real BBQ available.
Then, a guy has 2 restaurants that produced Que with no rub, sauces, etc (Which I also like a lot--BTW). His restaruants are gone and apparently replaced by his new one.
Then, 3 events in 2003 (and then again) in 2004 have caused NYC to love real BBQ.
Article was apparently written in early or mid 2004.
Restaurants are popping up all over as owners learn to cope with environmental rules.

If I got all of that--great :lol:
I am really glad NYC is getting a chance to enjoy real BBQ and hope it continues.
Someday, it might become part of their culture also--just gonna take several generations, but I hope it does :lol:

Congrats to NYC!!!!!

TIM

The South has taken over NYC, pass it on :!:

Wait 'till they learn about creamy chopped coleslaw on Smoked & pulled Pork on sliced white bread. 8)

Seems like a pretty good restaurant with Paul Kirk behind it. Since this place isn't a chain (yet), maybe they'll hold true to Kirk recipes for a while. However, make sure you know their hours before you go. I was up in NYC three weeks ago on a Sunday hoping to get some of this R.U.B. and it was closed. The only place closed at 3 PM on a Sunday. It had a sign that said that dinner will be served at 6 PM. I was a little "baffled" to say the least. I had to settle for some kind of joint that I swear cooked up some kind of Doberman ribs.

Man, I'm about as NE as you can get here in New Hamster. And I've found a new love in this BBQ thing. I'm fascinating by the strong feelings about it amongst my southern Brethren. There are so many articles out there on rubs and sauces and techniques. Should I go with eastern Carolin sauces, Piedmont Carolia sauces, southern hot sauces, etc., etc. etc. I get the impression there are some pretty heated discussion about it all in places. And that's great! Every opinion becomes another chance for me to experiment.

But it's just one way to cook (is that a blasphemous statement??). This weekend, I'll fire up the SKD again and try something new. I'm also planking a couple of salmon fillets which I think is more of a northwest thing. And one of these days I'll boil up a couple of Maine lobstahs!!

It's all good!!

Maybe we're a little behind on the BBQ front up here in New England. I don;t suspect the KCBS will be relocating up here anytime soon.

But this site has made me realize that wherever we are, we're all Brothers in Smoke - anjd I just love it. Somewhere in Illinois, some guy like me may be trying to figure out the best way to make lobster thermidor - something I take for granted. It's all diversity - and part of what makes us great!!

Uh - maybe I shouold change that to Missouri instead of Illinois, before someone tells me that lobster was invented in Illinois.........

:shock:

scottm4300 said:
This weekend, I'll fire up the SKD again and try something new. I'm also planking a couple of salmon fillets which I think is more of a northwest thing.

For tradition you will want to use alder for your fire and cedar for the planks. Don't forget to soak your plank overnight so it won't burn up with the fish. If you use a cedar shake for your plank be carefull that it isn't treated with fire retardent.

Thanks Hoo - getting alder in this part of the country is pretty difficult. But I bought a couple western red cedar boards today for the planks - and I plan on soaking the daylights out of 'em before I cook. I'm still looking for the alder logs, but may have to use birch as a substitute

scottm4300 said:
Uh - maybe I shouold change that to Missouri instead of Illinois, before someone tells me that lobster was invented in Illinois.........

Scott, ya got it backwards, according to thise guys.... Missouri was invented in Ill-in-noise.

Back