MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Injection Advice

Guys,
I'm new to the site. I'm certain there have been many threads about injecting, but I don't know how to search.

I do not currently inject meat before smoking, but I know I need to learn more about it.

Any help on how I can find previous threads or on where to go to learn more about injecting, equipment, recipes for injection fluids?
Many thanks!
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the Brethren.

For home cooking, I believe more of us do not inject than do. I don't.

If you go down to the bottom of this page you will see a site specific Google search.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I always inject butts and brisket even at home, I just use a different injection than I use at comps.
I use a syringe made for large animals, with a size 14 needle. Available at any vet supply store and at various online bbq supply stores.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
discmen95
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been injecting. I use the cajun injector off Amazon. Built like a tank, around $20.00 For Brisket, I use beef stock, low sodium, with a little Worcestershire and soy sauce, as well as some of my rub (no sugar for Brisket), and some Accent. Don't use bullion, use a good homemade, or Kitchen Basics stock. For pork I use Chris Lilly's pork injection, which is apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire. I haven't injected any poultry yet, but I wish I had injected my Chicken last night, because it came out a little dry (it was a 9 pounder, so maybe it was just an old chicken.
discmen95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I inject over brining. For example, I inject chickens and wings with Italian dressing 24 hours prior to smoking to marinate. If you have an injector with longer needles, you can inject the birds from the inside. This keeps the skin from being punctured and leaking. I own one of these and love it:
http://spitjack.com/product/MEAT-BRI...LETE-CASE.html
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks! That spitjack is sweet!
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

If I inject at all it is all natural and I stay away from the nitrates and stuff that is popular on the competition circuit. Sometimes I save brisket drippings and freeze them, then use that with a little water and maybe a little rub to inject the next one. It's just a good NATURAL brisket flavor and will do the trick for adding moisture and flavor. For pork butts I use a solution of equal parts of apple juice / water / vinegar with a little rub. The moisture and flavor of the pork is awesome and the vinegar is a natural tenderizing agent.