MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Which (ATC) Temperature Controller is Most Reliable?
Pitmaster IQ 0 0%
DigiQ 8 57.14%
Rocks Stoker 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
WSM2
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Which Temperature Controller for a Stumps Stretch? *****

Hi Guys...

I have a Stumps Stretch smoker on order. I want an ATC and have been looking at the ones that are most talked about. But I need some help in deciding which one is the right one for me.

Here's what I need: It must be extremely reliable. It must be easy to use and a simple design. No Frills- temp up, temp down and must have a few meat probes, Should be quality made. It will be used for catering so it will get a lot of use. And if I am lucky, it would be nice, though not entirely important, it should work with my Apple OSX MacBook Pro.

• Pitmaster IQ,
  • BBQ Guru DigiQ II
  • Rocks Stoker-Basic

If you guys could share some knowledge to a new user it would be great. I have done some research, but I am open to your suggestions. Other than that, I just want a unit that is dependable and does what it is supposed to do.

Thank you.
WSM2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I don't own a Stump yet, but my dealer likes the Guru. BTW he is winning a lot of comps too.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

DigiQ is easy and reliable. Customer service is responsive. I don't think that model is enabled for computer interface, which I consider a plus.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

The Pitmaster does not have food probes. I think the higher end Guru's can be fitted for multiple food probes, but not sure. I think you need to go with the Stoker. I personally do not have one, but they can accomodate multiple food probes and I believe there is a program for Macs. The stoker is a bit more expensive than the others.
I do have a guru and love it. I didn't need or want the extra features that the Stoker offered, although it is pretty cool to remotely control pit temps and monitor food temps from your iphone.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
jtphillips
Knows what a fatty is.

WSM2-
I am also contemplating the exact same question (I ordered my Stretch in Janurary). The IQUE 110 doesn't have meat probes; it only controls the pit temp. From what I hear, the Stoker isn't a no-frills controller. It is definitely the most complex of the three units you mentioned. Based on your preferences, I would say that the Guru is your best match. That being said, I think I am going to get a Stoker. I am a Millennial, so naturally I opt for the most technologically advanced controller I can find.
jtphillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
WSM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieh70301 View Post
The Pitmaster does not have food probes. I think the higher end Guru's can be fitted for multiple food probes, but not sure. I think you need to go with the Stoker. I personally do not have one, but they can accomodate multiple food probes and I believe there is a program for Macs. The stoker is a bit more expensive than the others.
I do have a guru and love it. I didn't need or want the extra features that the Stoker offered, although it is pretty cool to remotely control pit temps and monitor food temps from your iphone.
Ok. So Pitmaster is out of question. Gotta be able to control more than just the pit temp.

DigiQ II With Pit Viper Fan, this one seems to have some nice features.
http://www.charcoalstore.com/product.../CH-5466.html#

Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

I own and have used a stoker and a guru on my stretch at comps. Ive won comps with both. They both perform well. I found myself not using the extra features of the stoker after the novelty wore off. The guru only has one probe so that was the only downside for me over the stoker. The stoker gets used at home and as a backup unit (and is actually for sale). The guru and a themapen pull comp duty.

Also my stretch came with a guru adapter on it. You have to pay for the stoker adapter.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I use a CyberQ II on my Stumps Baby and it performs flawlessly.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

The CyberQ II has my vote, and it's probably a more fair comparison to the Stoker, albeit no direct network capability.

The CyberQ and the DigiQ have been super reliable.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

I run my stoker with my Macbook. Three years old and has yet to let us down.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
WSM2

I wanted to add this post in favor of the DigiQ. I just found it and it mentions some things I wasn't aware of. Perhaps this helps someone else as well.

Here is why I bought the DigiQII over the Stoker. It was a very hard decision because I'm a techie and would love to monitor and control my cook via the Internet while at work - which the DigiQII can't do.

However, I chose the DigiQ II because:
1. It is more durable/rugged. This goes for the unit and the probes too. The Stoker on the other hand appears to be more like a delicate consumer electronics unit.

2. It is more user-friendly/easy set-up/simple to control at the unit itself. There's only a few buttons: Food/Pit and Temp up/down. It couldn't get any simpler. The Stoker may have buttons also but it also has confusing/time-consuming menus and navigation to deal with - it's just too much for me. My understanding is that on the Stoker, Internet control of the unit is much easier than using the buttons on the unit. And I simply don't want to have to log on to the Internet just to change the temperature.

3. Ramp down feature. This makes it very hard to overcook something. If I'm at work this is important - it means I don't have to log on to the Internet to bring the pit temp down.

4. Open Lid Detect feature. This means I don't have to unplug/plug the unit when I open the lid just to prevent the blower from coming on and overheating the smoker.

5. Memory Store feature. The unit by default just remembers my last settings if there's a power failure. Simple.

6. It is cheaper. A DigiQ II with a 10CFM blower is cheaper than a Stoker with a 10CFM blower.

7. It is smaller. I want the smallest footprint possible.

I think those are good reasons to pick the DigiQII over the Stoker. It is important to note that I don't have multiple cookers or need multiple food probes.

Read more: http://addictedtobbq.proboards.com/i...#ixzz1HHy6nb8I

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love my Guru!

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
ZZFlats
Got rid of the matchlight.

DigiQ DX. Rugged, simple, it just works... The adaptive control algorithm rocks! It knows to slow the speed of the fan if temps are rising fast and also slows down the closer you get to the pit temp. Having used all of the previous Guru controllers, it just keeps getting better and better.
ZZFlats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Guru. Mine is great.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

I got a cyber q, but i think a digi q would have been better for my purposes.
either way, guru.
never used a stoker however
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atc, BBQ Guru digiq, fans, mac osx apple computer, Pitmaster IQ, rocks stoker, stumpers smoker stretch, temperature controller