MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Spyders03
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Modified UDS question

I have 2 barrels at my disposal, possibly 3. I was looking at doing a few mods.

1. Taking 1/3 or 2/3 of the second barrel and cutting and welding it on top of the base barrel, both standing upright. Thought this might get up further from the heat and provide extra room for a good sized second rack.

2. Thought about putting a baffle above the fire, could double as a water retainer holder, have seen this done, but undue of the results.

3. Welding feet on the bottom, 2 with wheels, for easier moving

4. Adding doors on the sides, at least one in the bottom to get to fire basket

Any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated, I'm definitely not an expert and if you guys think any of these are bad idea, PLEASE let me know! You won't hurt my feelings, rather do it right the first time. Also, if there are any other tricks you guys have found that work great, please feel free to share!
Spyders03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Dadeo719
is one Smokin' Farker

YES! YES!! YES!!! YES!!!! I will now take my seat and finish my beer while you get to work!

Last edited by Dadeo719; 04-27-2014 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Missed the 4th idea
Dadeo719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you do this, get a 3rd rack in there -esp. if you have a dome lid.

You also need to be able to reach in .
Ash control.
The joy of barrel smoking is absolute control of air inflow.
You need this as well.
As well as - it looks cool.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

1. why not use the 1/3 as the bottom/basket area. Would require lifting of the drum to get to the coal basket PIA... IMHO How much do you need to cook? Build 2 UDS's instead.
2. deflector for when required/wanted made from cheap pizza pan
3. Sure, but if you add a 1/3 barrel on top you will need a step ladder to reach inside. PIA IMHO
4. Door? Try a basic UDS first and see if you really want one. The coal basket lifts out real easy and can smoke for 20hrs when properly done on one load of coals.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
delarob
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah, I was thinking a door on mine once but the potential for loss of heat/smoke is greater. The beauty of the UDS is its efficiency. No need to mess with what works.
delarob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

4. great idea! All mine have doors, fire basket access at any time, don't have to tear apart a drum and move racks around to get to the fire if needed. No air leaking. Add chunks or chips anytime, ramp up heat instantly by cracking door.

Side door works great if you take your time in fabricating!

Really, a smoker without easy access to the fire? and without adjustable shelving?

And I use a diffuser on every drum, every smoke.

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
N8man
Babbling Farker

I used a third for an extension on my drumpit, went with the no weld method using
a lid clamp to hold it all together....worked out well.....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Win nut
Knows what a fatty is.

Do a Google search for Stan Johnson's magnum force smoker. I am in the process of building one, waiting on paint to arrive.
Win nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
racedvl
Got Wood.

Smokerking, what are you using in that second picture to put the thermometer through? I like the way that looks...
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Ryan921
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree with SmokerKing on the door. It can really come in handy to get the temp up real quick, or just throwing extra chips/chunks on without pulling everything apart. Just be sure it gets sealed very well or it will cause great pain
Ryan921 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Spyders03
Got rid of the matchlight.

SmokerKing, that is a pretty hefty door system, I didn't think of something like that, although I may forego the door on my first build and keep that part simple, and try and get my airflow down good before expanding.

Looking at your beauty N8man, I may also forgo the addition seeing how tall it is, as I was planning on welding my top on, and that may make it too hard to access the inside. I'm getting the feeling I'm over-thinking things and trying to complicate things instead of just KISS.

I will be using dual temp gauges, and I did think about welding on some expanded metal on the side near the top for a workspace/shelf, just need to find a way to make it safe so a kid doesn't poke their eye out or cut themselves on a piece of metal sticking out.
Spyders03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedvl View Post
Smokerking, what are you using in that second picture to put the thermometer through? I like the way that looks...
It's a conduit gland with rubber grommet, been on this forum for a while. Found at Home Depot or Lowes

Old 04-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan921 View Post
I agree with SmokerKing on the door. It can really come in handy to get the temp up real quick, or just throwing extra chips/chunks on without pulling everything apart. Just be sure it gets sealed very well or it will cause great pain
I've built 7 with the door in the side and they all seal fine. None have any gaskets on the door. The clamps help seal the door to the framed opening.

I hand pick out the steel for the door as most get warped during the shearing process at the steel yard.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyders03 View Post
Looking at your beauty N8man, I may also forgo the addition seeing how tall it is, as I was planning on welding my top on, and that may make it too hard to access the inside.
it just looks tall when I'm not in the pix with it...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
racedvl
Got Wood.

Thank you smokerking, I have something to research now. I didn't know what to call it.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote