MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #151
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Holy Farkamole!

I'm in sensory overload!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #152
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=Al Czervik;2211937]
Now I've had Cheesesteak twice in Philly, and I get it's all about the bread. Since it's next to impossible to get authentic bread if you don't live there, I figured I'd make my own. It's probably the only chance I have at not scoring a zero. I started searching the internets until I found a recipe I thought looked authentic enough. It's a pretty basic bread recipe with the addition of heavy gluten flour (sorry Kathy)...

Why am I reading this thread? I just started 6 weeks of no gluten, no dairy, no processed food, no sugar with an additional few weeks of rotating different kinds of gluten in to see what hurts the most -- hoping to find some that doesn't.

Fark.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #153
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

I just went through this whole Farkin thread.

DAYAM!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #154
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

So this is how this California transplant see's the Philly Cheese steak. Now I don't expect to be able to compete with the great entries and of course the Schmitter but I have two things going for me (well three if you count Avocados). First I refuse to murder a rib eye (even if it doesn't cost$18.00 here) and second I scored some real authentic Philly Cheese steak bread, really I did here see for yourself.

So Sunday after my team was embarrassed I decided to grill a nice 6" thick Rib Eye on Milton seasoned with BP and some Dulse Granules (thanks biggie great salt substitute).

Further proof that I did not have se... err oops wrong hearing, I did not murder that Rib Eye.

I wasn't that hungry so just ate a small piece and decided to save the rest for later. Then it hit me I could make a Philly Cheese Steak without murdering a rib eye and still be true to the sandwich. So today I chopped some onions and bell pepper.

Added some mushrooms and sliced up leftover un-murdered rib eye.

Some provolone cheese.

The next part was the hardest part, scooping it off the pan and putting it on the bread,it took me two tries to get it halfway right. That Tony Luke farker in the video CD posted made it look so easy. Here is the pay off, best Philly Cheese Steak I ever made.

Oh did I mention that No Rib Eyes were harmed or otherwise murdered in the making of this Philly Cheese Steak.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #155
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That's a fine looking un-murdered ribeye cheesesteak right there. Those rolls sure look authentic to me. :thumbup:

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #156
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Great job Jason and I'd go with this one...

Edit... Never mind. I didn't see you had already picked the other shot.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")

Last edited by Al Czervik; 09-19-2012 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: too late...
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #157
Al Czervik

Great looking Spam Philly Paulie!
(")_(")
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #158
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Great job Jason and I'd go with this one...

Edit... Never mind. I didn't see you had already picked the other shot.

Thanks Al, I thought you were napping or something, I did use your choice in the Vets vs. Noobian TD though.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #159
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
So this is how this California transplant see's the Philly Cheese steak. Now I don't expect to be able to compete with the great entries and of course the Schmitter but I have two things going for me (well three if you count Avocados). First I refuse to murder a rib eye (even if it doesn't cost$18.00 here) and second I scored some real authentic Philly Cheese steak bread, really I did here see for yourself.

So Sunday after my team was embarrassed I decided to grill a nice 6" thick Rib Eye on Milton seasoned with BP and some Dulse Granules (thanks biggie great salt substitute).

Further proof that I did not have se... err oops wrong hearing, I did not murder that Rib Eye.

I wasn't that hungry so just ate a small piece and decided to save the rest for later. Then it hit me I could make a Philly Cheese Steak without murdering a rib eye and still be true to the sandwich. So today I chopped some onions and bell pepper.

Added some mushrooms and sliced up leftover un-murdered rib eye.

Some provolone cheese.

The next part was the hardest part, scooping it off the pan and putting it on the bread,it took me two tries to get it halfway right. That Tony Luke farker in the video CD posted made it look so easy. Here is the pay off, best Philly Cheese Steak I ever made.

Oh did I mention that No Rib Eyes were harmed or otherwise murdered in the making of this Philly Cheese Steak.
Well Sir, That is just off the hook! I really loved the shot showing the Proper Aplication of the Mighty Themapen too!

Philly On Brother!
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #160
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Tony Luke and Bobby Flay get creative with cheesesteaks, without straying too far from tradition in this throwdown....

Tony Luke's Throw Down with Bobby Flay - YouTube

CD
Thanks for that tutorial CD. We can get them here but nothing like that! I see there is some flexibility allowed.

Great info!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #161
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Great looking Spam Philly Paulie!
A Sphilly, now there's an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Well Sir, That is just off the hook! I really loved the shot showing the Proper Aplication of the Mighty Themapen too!

Philly On Brother!
Thanks Toast, I normally wont use a thermapen on a steak just feel but I wanted to show that the Rib eye wasn't murdered.But I will say (off the record of course, I would never say this in public) that the recent spree of rid eye murders in this thread are justifiable homicide, again thats off the record.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #162
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Thanks Toast, I normally wont use a thermapen on a steak just feel but I wanted to show that the Rib eye wasn't murdered.But I will say (off the record of course, I would never say this in public) that the recent spree of rid eye murders in this thread are justifiable homicide, again thats off the record.
Excellent point. It has concerned me that this thread could cause rib eye murdering to the point of genocide. I'm glad so far this is not the case!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #163
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

whAT!

Two whole days I've been away, and not a single post...

I hope somone else has done a cheese steak?? Surely the entire world has not run out of Cheese Whiz???
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #164
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
whAT!

Two whole days I've been away, and not a single post...

I hope somone else has done a cheese steak?? Surely the entire world has not run out of Cheese Whiz???
I'm sure there a couple lurkers out there who will submit before the deadline, but I don't like to be called Shirley...
(")_(")
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #165
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

To be honest, I'd always thought Cheez Whiz was the Philly way. I've talked this over with a workmate of mine who grew up just a few blocks from Geno's who told me that's the only way to have a Philly Cheesesteak. I've been corrected here, but I did consult the authoritative Wikipedia on the matter. They said that they can be made with Cheez Whiz, American, or provolone ; however, they also did note that "Cheez Whiz is 'overwhelmingly the favorite' at Pat's, outselling runner-up American by a ratio of eight or ten to one, while Geno's claims to go through eight to ten cases of Cheez Whiz a day." It isn't even mentioned what provolone gets, but presumably that is in the noise. Personally, I can't stand Cheez Whiz, so I was looking for any excuse to use another cheese. I really don't think American or provolone are recognizable as being in the "Philly way" since they represent roughly 10% of the Philly cheesesteaks, so I picked the most obvious contender

Of course, that Philadelphia cheese needed something for a kick, and that is that small package of Spanish bleu cheese in the upper right corner of the picture. Together, they made a tasty bleu-cheese sauce:

The next step was the bun. I heard CD wax poetic about Amaroso rolls and how a Philly Cheesesteak is not a Philly Cheesesteak unless it has these rolls. Well, fark, I cannot get any Amaroso buns, and since nothing else will do, I'll just make a Philly Cheesesteak (sans bun). So, that basically left me with this:

I must admit that it tasted better than the ones I've had in Philly.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.

Last edited by Gore; 09-23-2012 at 09:23 PM..
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote