Los angeles source wanted for beef ribs in rack form

BruceKWHP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was looking up something on you tube yesterday and you know how one thing leads to another on the internet.... and I came upon this:

Beef Ribs - YouTube

Where do I get beef ribs in cyro, or at least with MEAT on them... all the ones at local Albertsons, Vons and Ralphs look like they have been to a high school biology class to be dissected first... all bone and NO meat.

I love the look of the "7 bone" rack of ribs he is using in this video !!

Where oh where in Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley can I get some ???

You might have to make a special order with the butcher. Beef ribs tend to be trimmed pretty closely since they make more money selling the meat as part of the ribeye than they do selling it as part of the rib.

It's pretty far from where yer at, but I've gotten some really nice ones from Huntington Meats in the L.A. Farmer's Market on 3rd & Fairfax. They're pretty much my go-to butcher right now. You should be able to find something closer - there seems to be a lot of good butchers around here. Big Brother Smoke is up in Ventura - I'll be he knows of some good spots. Moose is in Encino - I know he has some good sources :hungry:

The ones I got at Huntington were really meaty - 1 rib was enough for a meal, & I can put away some food.

Bruce,

I have found very nice beef back ribs at Ralph's Fresh Faire markets in more upscale neighborhoods. In fact, the one just up the street from us on Ventura just west of White Oak has them quite often. They are usually not a full rack, but I bet if you call the meat dept. they can get them whole for you. I've also seem them at the Ralph's in Studio City on Ventura. If you don't mind dropping some $$, Gelson's also carries prime beef back ribs but they are almost always cut into single ribs, but again, I'm sure if you give the meat dept a holler they will get you exactly what you want. Also, How's Market in Pasadena also has them.

Ralph's Encino
17840 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91316
(818) 345-6882

How's Market
3035 E. Huntington Dr.
Pasadena 91107
(626) 535-9091

Gelson's Market

22277 Mulholland Hwy
Calabasas, CA 91302
(818) 906-6228

Try Restaurant Depot on Jefferson east of La Cienega. I have seen both racks of beef ribs and beef short ribs (3 ribs to the rack).

Whole Foods Woodland Hills

I stopped by yesterday on the way home.... man at meat counter said beef ribs are a once in a while thing...

but yesterday he had a few racks of Buffalo ribs ! anybody tried these ??

Try jims fallbrook market in west hills. They have great meats from harris ranch. I get my ribs and tri tip from them and they are excellent. You might want to call first just to make sure they have them ,but if not they will get them for you in a day or so. They are on fallbrook near oxnard.

I am loving the butcher shop input.

Today I stopped at Huntington Meats. Wow. I bought a cyro of Harris ranch beef ribs, about 10 pounds. They look like the ones at R.D... Maybe I will get some of the Buffalo from Whole foods to round out the Q on Sunday. I also got a few pounds of the "Nancy Silverton" special ground meat blend, threw some patties on the Char Griller tonite, great burgers! The smoke / smell I am sure was making the neighbors nuts... Yum.

The "tomahawk prime steaks" look farking amazing, another time those will go on the Char Griller for an amazing "steaky steak" night with a good bottle of red.

I drive by the Sunday bbq at Jim's market all the time... I have been in the store a few times, peeked at the meat, honestly I thought the place needed a good cleaning and I did not buy anything. I will give it a try, it is close to home.

I second Jims. If they dont have it they can get it for you.

I am loving the butcher shop input.

Today I stopped at Huntington Meats. Wow. I bought a cyro of Harris ranch beef ribs, about 10 pounds. They look like the ones at R.D... Maybe I will get some of the Buffalo from Whole foods to round out the Q on Sunday. I also got a few pounds of the "Nancy Silverton" special ground meat blend, threw some patties on the Char Griller tonite, great burgers! The smoke / smell I am sure was making the neighbors nuts... Yum.

The "tomahawk prime steaks" look farking amazing, another time those will go on the Char Griller for an amazing "steaky steak" night with a good bottle of red.

I drive by the Sunday bbq at Jim's market all the time... I have been in the store a few times, peeked at the meat, honestly I thought the place needed a good cleaning and I did not buy anything. I will give it a try, it is close to home.

Bruce,

I completely forgot about Huntington Meats - glad you went there. That ground beef is the bomb, and you might want to try the Kobe Tri-Tip. At $17.99 a lb, it's a bargain. You can check out a Kobe Tri from Huntington Meats I did a while back HERE.

I've tried Jim's and thought it was Ok, but not great.

I hope you will post pr0n of your beef rib cook!

I've found that any place that sells asian style beef short ribs (about 1/2" thick strips, also called flanken style) can sell you the "prime rib on a stick" racks that you're looking for, you've just got to ask for it.

Essentially they just take that rack and put it to the bandsaw to make the 1/2" strips, why they put out the "skeletor" rib racks instead is beyond me. :roll:

bruce,

i completely forgot about huntington meats - glad you went there. That ground beef is the bomb, and you might want to try the kobe tri-tip. At $17.99 a lb, it's a bargain. You can check out a kobe tri from huntington meats i did a while back here.

I've tried jim's and thought it was ok, but not great.

I hope you will post pr0n of your beef rib cook!

wow! That tri tip looks amazing. I will have to get some of that asap.

This afternoon I went by the Ralph's on Kanan on the way home for beer (can't bbq w/o brew) I just happened to peek at the beef ribs... Awesome! ... lots of people must want roasts w/o bones. At $1.99 / lb. and very meaty. Already sliced into "bones".

I will take the Harris Ranch ribs from Huntington out of the cyro shortly to season... if the Ralphs look better the Harris will be heading for the freezer!

332nes2.jpg
[/IMG]Seasoned with Trader Joes Garlic EVOO, Salt and Mesquite seasoning...Rosemary too... heading for the UDS over Kblue and a chunk of Red Oak

Last edited:
2 hours in on the UDS at 200 deg

5expxj.jpg

Last edited:
After 4.5 hours on Robot, They tasted good, many compliments from the family.... two was enough for most to be full... I had to push it and eat 4! But Hey, it's Chrismas!

jjmvf7.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking up something on you tube yesterday and you know how one thing leads to another on the internet.... and I came upon this:

Beef Ribs - YouTube

Where do I get beef ribs in cyro, or at least with MEAT on them... all the ones at local Albertsons, Vons and Ralphs look like they have been to a high school biology class to be dissected first... water delivery los angeles all bone and NO meat.

I love the look of the "7 bone" rack of ribs he is using in this video !!

Where oh where in Los Angeles / San Fernando Valley can I get some ???

if you figure this out post your findings! seems like all the chain stores in LA are all bone. Sprouts is pretty good though!

Back