MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Vic C
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default smoke ring

Can you guys give me some tips on getting a good smoke ring? I'm smoking a brisket and thought that if I put it on my extended rack to get it up higher so it sits more in the smoke that that my help. I normally get a pretty good ring but would like to see if if I can improve on what I have already done. Thank you guys for any tips.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Talking

Vic, there is good reason to believe that if you take your meat straight from the fridge to a smoker that is already up to temp, that you get a better ring.That last time I smoked a brisket I did this and got a full 1/4" ring, which means I will be doing this again. I hope this helps.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Let the brisket soak in Dales Seasoning overnight, do what CabinetMaker said, from fridge to cooker, and cook at 210-220 until at least 145* which is the temperature at which the chemical formation that causes the ring stops.

Dales is high powered soy sauced bases marinade, loaded with sodium to "open up" the brisket's pores, and the lower smoke temp will increase the time it takes to get to 145*, thereby increasing the ring (same reasoning for going from fridge to cooker)

Good luck, and post pics!!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
Let the brisket soak in Dales Seasoning overnight, do what CabinetMaker said, from fridge to cooker, and cook at 210-220 until at least 145* which is the temperature at which the chemical formation that causes the ring stops.

Dales is high powered soy sauced bases marinade, loaded with sodium to "open up" the brisket's pores, and the lower smoke temp will increase the time it takes to get to 145*, thereby increasing the ring (same reasoning for going from fridge to cooker)

Of course there's always red food coloring.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

You can add a small amount of tender quick to the rub.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabntmkr1 View Post
Vic, there is good reason to believe that if you take your meat straight from the fridge to a smoker that is already up to temp, that you get a better ring.That last time I smoked a brisket I did this and got a full 1/4" ring, which means I will be doing this again. I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post

I use both the fridge to smoker and a bit of salty rub on my brisket. Beautiful smoke rings every time.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
I use both the fridge to smoker and a bit of salty rub on my brisket. Beautiful smoke rings every time.
I've always had a salty rub on my briskets and always taken them straight from the frig to the smoker... I didn't know I was doing it right all along until now....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Rubbing/Seasoning your brisket overnight helps, especially if using about 1 tablesoon of tender quick in the rub recipe.

KCBS judging standards stress letting the smoke ring affect your scoring the appearance category (tender quick). But I'd say a lot of judges are subconsciously swayed by the smoke ring.

Too bad, because if all judges don't use the same criteria, it isn't fair to the cookers. And they deserve better.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
dbhost
On the road to being a farker

I typically use a homemade rub based on a commercially available either rub, or fajita seasoning. I add some of my own goodies to it, including seasoned salt, and tenderizer. Once fully rubbed down, the brisket gets wrapped again in celophane, and stuck back in the fridge overnight. I take the brisket straight from fridge to 225 degree smoker and let the smoker do its thing. I cannot recall ever getting a smoke ring less than 1/4".

Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Bigmista

Sounds like you have it down db.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
You can add a small amount of tender quick to the rub.
This will put a good smoke ring on your brisket. Sometimes you have to watch out for the double smoke ring; the one from the tenderquick and the one from the smoker.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Vic C
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks everyone. Can you get the tenderquick at any grocery store or is it only at bbq stores? On my briskets I normally marinate in a soy based marinade. Than I will rub it down while my smoker gets up to temp. I've always felt that if I rubbed it down the night before the salt will dry it out a bit.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

It's basically the curing salts that you're looking for, but beware that they are highly concentrated. Something like a couple TBSP per 100 pounds of meat, but this probably varies among producers, just be sure to read the label and then dilute even further since you're not looking for the curing effect.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post
Thanks everyone. Can you get the tenderquick at any grocery store or is it only at bbq stores? On my briskets I normally marinate in a soy based marinade. Than I will rub it down while my smoker gets up to temp. I've always felt that if I rubbed it down the night before the salt will dry it out a bit.
I can get the TenderQuick anywhere. Made by Morton, ya know, salt? I find it in the cooking spices section of the supermarket. Comes in a dark blue bag.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote