MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Default What did you have for breakfast today??

Since I had been having a crazing for biscuits and gravy I decided to make myself some this morning.

Ingredients:

1 lb. Jimmy Dean Hot pork breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons sweet butter
1 small onion chopped
2 tablespoons garlic minced
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups whole milk
1 chicken bouillon cubes -ground
1/4 teaspoon dry Thyme
1/8 teaspoon dry Sage
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
pepper

I fired up the smoker and brought it up to 235 and then through on my sausage. After the sausage has been in the smoker for about 30 minutes I made a foil boat to catch the grease. After the boat has accumulated about 2 tablespoons of grease I place sausage back on the grate and save the grease. To the grease I add 1/4 teaspoon cold bacon fat.

Here is what the sausage looked like when I pulled it off with an internal temperature of 170.

I cut the sausage in half and finely chopped one half and left the other half in chunks.

I Heated up a cast iron skillet on the stove for about 2 -3 minutes to get it hot over a medium-high heat. Added in the sausage grease and the bacon fat. Once the grease was hot I add in the my chopped onion. Cooking the onion until tender but not brown. Add in the minced garlic and continue to cook an additional minute or so.

After the onion and garlic had cooked I began to add in the flour a tablespoon at a time constantly stirring the mixture. Be sure not allow the flour burn you simply want to brown the flour.

Reduce heat to medium-low and begin adding slowly the milk about a half a cup at a time, constantly stirring the mixture. Once all the milk has been incorporated allow it to simmer for about 1 minute.

To the mixture add in the rest of the ingredients being sure to incorporate them fully into the mixture. Add black pepper to taste. Once all ingredients have been dissolved add in the smoked sausage. Turn down the heat to low and allow the entire mixture to cook for about 3 - 4 minutes. If mixture is to thick add some more milk to thin it out to desired consistence.

The end result was very nice. Since I had used apple wood to smoke the sausage the smoke flavor was not over powering at all. Here it is all put together.

-Eric
eap0510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

Very nice!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Man that Looks Good !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks DE lishus.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wish I hadn't opened this. I had one scrambled egg, once piece of bacon, a piece of wheat toast and an apple. I would have much preferred to have had your breakfast! Biscuits and gravy get me all the way down to my soul!

I did drink a pot of coffee though.

I'm usually pretty dang good about what I eat these days, and I do allow for a little indulgence once in a while, so I'm gonna have to put biscuits & gravy on the radar soon. Thanks for posting!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
landarc

I had soup. Farking chicken soup. I wanted biscuits and gravy like that. All I had was farking soup.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

I had pan fried "crispy crowns" (flat tater tots) and 3 fried eggs....a couple ladles of that gravy would have been AWESOME!!

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

now that's a breakfast!!!!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Son slept late....woke up starving.

Some JD Sage sausage with a little Don's Seasoning Delight in the skillet, too. Smells great but tastes better.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
caseydog

I do like a good plate of biscuits and gravy. But, it is hard to find. I've eaten a lot more bad sausage gravy than good sausage gravy.

Yours looks pretty good.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good. If i ate that much for breakfast I wouldn't be hungry again until about 10 that night
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Whippingwater
Found some matches.

Made some fatties with the nice fatty burger I have from a side of beef. Used Aldo's Wild Game Salami One Hour Spice mix rubbed with Simply Marvelous Cherry. No biscuits and gravy, but still tasty.
Whippingwater is offline   Reply With Quote