Old Weber Smokey Joe

D

Daytrip

I'm hoping someone can help me out with some info on a Weber Smokey Joe I recently got.

I have used cheap grills most of my life thinking I could make do with whatever. Recently I picked up a Weber 22.5" one touch sliver and am blown away by how much better it is than the cheap smoker/grill combo I had.

While researching the "serial" number to register the grill I was fascinated by the history of Weber and the ammount of info there was out there. That's how I stumbled across this place.

A few weeks later my girlfriends mother pulled an ancient looking box out of her car and asked me if I wanted this grill that was sitting around her house.

It was a Weber Smokey Joe and judging by the box I was a little worried about what shape it was in. However I took it and thanked her.

Once I opened it up and took a look I was surprised to find it in perfect shape, the wing nuts are still in the plastic bag and unopened. It's literally never been used.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any info on what I may have. I can't find much info on the Smokey Joe and I'm curious how old it is and if it's worth anything. I'd feel bad taking it from her if it's worth something and I'm halfway afraid to use it because of the shape it's in. Any info would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0931_25.jpg
    IMG_0931_25.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0932_25.jpg
    IMG_0932_25.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0933_25.jpg
    IMG_0933_25.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0936_25.jpg
    IMG_0936_25.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0938_25.jpg
    IMG_0938_25.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 182
A "B" code Weber would have been from 1980. Technically, it is an antique.

They don't make those wood handles anymore. Take good care of those.

As for value, you are not going to retire on the proceeds of a sale of it. If I were in your position, I would just use it, and take care of it, knowing you have a thirty-one year old grill that works as well as a brand new one. Actually, yours has 3 bottom vents, and the new ones only have one. That's a keeper, IMO.

I love my Smokey Joe. It is perfect for grilling dinner for one or two people, and I have actually smoked a few meatloafs on mine -- an chicken wings, and MOINKS.

CD

You have a winner right there. Take good care of it.

That is a keeper for sure.
Use it in good use, taking pride that it is older than a lot of folks.. perhaps yourself even. :becky:
Makes for a GREAT conversation piece at your cook outs. Let folks guess how old it is.

Nice find and the three bottom vents are cool. Those work great.

Thanks for the feedback. I definately don't plan to sell it, if anything I'd give it back if it had any real value.

I was born in 1980 so this thing is as old as I am. Though I'm no longer in "like new" shape that's for sure.

That is cool!! I'd love a smokey joe with the three bottom vents like that (I want to try it on my mini WSM/tamale steamer mod)!!

Had a line on one once, on ebay of all places, somebody beat me to it moments before I pulled the trigger. To me, that's always been "the one that got away"

Use that bad boy!!

You need to cook your girlfriends mother a nice meal on it. :thumb:

I'm sooo jealous!

But my wife's grandmother once gave me a Colt 1911, so I can't complain too much.

Thanks for the feedback. I definately don't plan to sell it, if anything I'd give it back if it had any real value.

I was born in 1980 so this thing is as old as I am. Though I'm no longer in "like new" shape that's for sure.

I was a freshman in college. :icon_blush:

CD

Oh, and keep the box, too, just for conversation.

CD

Back