MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ugly's BBQ View Post
I would think that anyone attempting to cook with a butane lighter has other issues that whether or not it's legal. They may be the ones up to 2am singing and playing guitar while you're trying to sleep.....
I am not sure this is a fair statement.

I mean, I don't even know how to play the guitar.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Here is your proof that Texas does have a winter.....

Setting a sauce is a cooking technique. Removing remnants of pen feathers is prep work and thusly not cooking.

Get on a plane and we'll debate over some margaritas.

Debate? I am too busy trying to find all of our Longhorns gear for my girls to be wearing in a couple of days...

Honestly, I don't have a clue. That was a gut reaction to all of the other lame rulings that the BOD comes up with. So I figured it was legal, thus I voted for illegal to rationalize like the BOD does on some issues....

Joking of course!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

Don't know if it's legal or not. Someone could say you were trying to render the fat under the skin. Why risk it? That's why I use a lady schick! And I learned that here...

Tom
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

As long as the gas for the torch is made by the coal gasification method on site using charcoal or wood as the source fuel, then it should be legal. Here is a simple process flow chart for the process.

Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
As long as the gas for the torch is made by the coal gasification method on site using charcoal or wood as the source fuel, then it should be legal. Here is a simple process flow chart for the process.

You guys have got to find another hobby during the winter

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Is this why some teams do their prep work under their Ezups with all 4 side panels down while they work under lights?

Just my memory thinking out loud here.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #22
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

It's only legal if it's a pellet pooping blowtorch

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #23
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

OK, no more complaining about the board micro managing. If someone asks they'll have to make a ruling on this. What does Jeff think? LOL!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
OK, no more complaining about the board micro managing. If someone asks they'll have to make a ruling on this. What does Jeff think? LOL!
I heard the pork issue began right here.
I heard the controversy about.. oh well it all began right here!

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
I saw a top team do this to their chicken at a contest this year. I wondered the same thing. Perhaps this does need some clarification by the board?
Was it wrapped in papers? Maybe they were trying to "smoke" their chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Everyone knows that Jeff shaves his chicken.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=Plowboy;1134455]Was it wrapped in papers? Maybe they were trying to "smoke" their chicken.

No. I actually thought it was a great idea, you know the way the pros do it on tv, to remove the extraneous feather hairs. I then started to do it at the very next contest and thought, "wait a second, this might be construed the wrong way" and I immediately stopped. I hadn't really thought of it again until it was brought up here. Personally, I don't think it is cooking, and therefore should be okay, but when at a contest I don't want to do anything that could even be interpreted incorrectly as being against the rules.

If your question was meant to be humorous I am sorry that it went over my head. . If not, I would be interested to hear of this "smoking" meathod you speak of.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #27
Plowboy

[QUOTE=musicmanryann;1134680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Was it wrapped in papers? Maybe they were trying to "smoke" their chicken.

No. I actually thought it was a great idea, you know the way the pros do it on tv, to remove the extraneous feather hairs. I then started to do it at the very next contest and thought, "wait a second, this might be construed the wrong way" and I immediately stopped. I hadn't really thought of it again until it was brought up here. Personally, I don't think it is cooking, and therefore should be okay, but when at a contest I don't want to do anything that could even be interpreted incorrectly as being against the rules.

If your question was meant to be humorous I am sorry that it went over my head. . If not, I would be interested to hear of this "smoking" meathod you speak of.
Apparently, not that humorous.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #28
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting question Dan, I often wondered if others would construe the use of a butane flame to remove my chicken hair, which is why, in the abundance of caution, we use Nair for men.

I prefer the lotion to the spray, I feel the residual material adds to the resulting texture of the skin. Please do not repeat this tip, as I am very aware of the chatter on various forums regarding "blue bottles" and chicken.

(and it is only early January)

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #29
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Wax it That way it will grow back slower
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #30
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Is this why some teams do their prep work under their Ezups with all 4 side panels down while they work under lights?

Just my memory thinking out loud here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann;1134680No. [I
I actually thought it was a great idea, you know the way the pros do it on tv, to remove the extraneous feather hairs. I then started to do it at the very next contest and thought, "wait a second, this might be construed the wrong way" and I immediately stopped.[/I] I hadn't really thought of it again until it was brought up here. Personally, I don't think it is cooking, and therefore should be okay, but when at a contest I don't want to do anything that could even be interpreted incorrectly as being against the rules.

Actually, the safest way to do it is prep the chicken at home where no one can see you use the torch...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote