Are you cutting back on the number of contests you are doing this year

Are you cutting back on the number of contests you are doing?

• The entry fee is the killer so I’m being more selective.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meat prices just seem to keep going up.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Divemaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing that a number of competitions are having a tougher time getting teams this year.

Have you cut back on the number your team is going to and if so, why?

There aren't THAT many contests in So Cal. We're doing all of them. Brings our total to 7 if you include our non-sanctioned backyard contest.

Between bbq, grilling & chili I am doing 10. My busiest year ever

We set a schedule that we would have liked to have done failry early on, it was up around 8 I believe. Then a key employee quiet on us so we scaled back to local contests. One of the new contests has already cancelled theirs as has an older one, so if we just do the ones close to us and they don't cancel, it will be the same number as last year 6.

We have a meat sponsor that only asks that we fly his logo. We buy meat from him outside of comps, and have turned several individuals and resturants on to him. So while meat is a consideration, it is not a deciding factor for us. Gas on the other hand, that could be a determining factor.

Good question you have going here, I will be interested to see how it all shakes out.

This has been my 1st year competing, so nothing to compare it to. Have done 3 so far, with 3 more planned..........but if the price of gas keeps going like it is, it will probably be less next year.

Like Joe, I have only not been competing that long, so this coming year I will do more than last year. However, the cost of entry fees for FBA is a killer!! After this coming year I will reevaluate.

We are planning on competing in 8 or 9 contests this year. Last year we did 12 contests and it took too much time from other things.

Like Joe, I have only not been competing that long, so this coming year I will do more than last year. However, the cost of entry fees for FBA is a killer!! After this coming year I will reevaluate.

Yeah, $260 for Tavares felt like a bargain compared to the others :shock:

What do you consider killer?

I think that the reason that some competitions are having a hard time filling up are a number of reasons. Gas should not be one of them. The main reasons are low payouts. A contest is not going to survive where it's expected of the teams to cover the purse and the expenses of the contests. I also see contests that don't get better from year one to hear two and that is a doomed contest as well. Lastly, there are more contests now than ever. There is now going to be competition amongst the contests to get cooks to want to go to their contest. I know we are having more and more conflicts in the schedule for contests going up against one another in the upper Midwest.

Scottie

We're trying to stay with a couple hours from home. That gives us 6 to 8 competitions that we can do and we're going to try to hit all of them.

What do you consider killer?

Well... I guess it is all relative, but most FBA contests are $250+ with a couple of them being $300+. It seems like a lot when I see KCBS for much less. Then again, maybe I am just uniformed/cheap!!

Well... I guess it is all relative, but most FBA contests are $250+ with a couple of them being $300+. It seems like a lot when I see KCBS for much less. Then again, maybe I am just uniformed/cheap!!
$250 seems to be the average for a KCBS. Does FbA have good payouts? This past weekend in Salisbury the entry fee was $250 but they had 17K in prize money. Each category had a $1000 for first place.

I would say that most are $500 per category and pay top five. GCs seem to be $1500-2000.

Until the housing market gets moving again, I will only be doing a couple a year. Construction has slowed down quite a bit.

Back