Fire up the smoker and weather turns bad...

dbhost

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last Christmas my fiancee gave me a New Branfels Bandera Smoker to replace my old, rusted up Silver Smoker, and I got it a few days early in order for me to... Can you guess? Smoke up the Christmas Turkey. Okay, no problem right? That's what I thought, until the weather turned COLD, RAINY, and WINDY after the bird went in the smoker and it was all I could do to keep any sort of fire going. What to do?...

Digging through my camping gear, a solution presented itself.

Take 1 EZ Up canopy that is, uh, inadvertently ventilated toward the top due to age, set up over the smoker, and use sandbags filled with topsoil from the garage (gardening stuff) to keep it from blowing away.

Next take 10x20 foot giant Poly tarp, and create walls on 3 sides facing the wind. Leave enough of a gap between canopy top and wall sides to allow smoke to escape. Anchor bottom of tarp to ground with heavy stuff. I used paver bricks from a ripped out patio project. The top was tied on with parachute cord from my hunting supplies.

I would like to figure out a better solution, but that is what worked for me and saved Christmas. Thanksgiving this year is coming up, and I have GOT to outdo her brother in smoking up turkeys. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. (He takes as much pride in his BBQ as I do mine, and he volunteered to help cook for the wedding, then backed out leaving us to foot the bill for a $1,500.00 caterer. If I wasn't the groom, I would BBQ my own stuff for the party... So this is a big deal matter of pride here...)

sound like you got it under control, as long as you still have all the same materials. Other than that, the only thing left to do would be to construct a more perm cooking hut.

good luck & snap some pics of what you do.

Cookers do what they have to in order to ge the job done! You're a Cooker!

I agree. You do what ya gotta do. I have put together some pretty sorry looking baracades out of old stockade fence, and plywood in a pinch. I set my WSM up in a pretty well protected area of the yard, so I will be using that for most of my winter cooks. I'll probablt still make a folding plywood baracade though.

I get the foul weather (by So. California standards) when I try a deep fried turkey. Windy every time. Last couple was rain also. :mad:

Yeah, 2004 and 2006 were odd weather Christmas wise.

I am fixing to set up to smoke up a bird and a couple of roasts or a brisket for Thanksgiving for the family. Will take some pics of the set up. I pretty much use whatever gear I have from building materials and camping gear to whatever the previous owner of my house left in the garage... I make it work to the best of my ability...

Right now I am concentrating on making the best BBQ possible. I have a matter of pride at stake here...

Back