My wife bought an electric Masterbuilt.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wife had been talking about getting a Masterbuilt electric smoker from QVC for over a year. They were on sale yesterday so we decided to get one.

I own 4 charcoal smokers including 2 WSM smokers, so I'm not sure what to expect from the Masterbuilt other than not getting a smoke ring. I must admit that the smoked foods that they show coming out of these smokers every Sunday on their cooking show does look great.

Anyone here ever use one of these things, and if so, want do you think?

Thanks,

Chris

I think you will find many uses for it, over time.

Why don't you and the wife do a cook off!!!!
John

This was my first smoker, Masterbuilt electric. I still use it, great for throwing on a butt and setting the temp and time, go to bed and wake up 8 hrs later not having to worry about themps rising or falling...and you can add wood chips via the side port...still get some smoke on the product...all and all a good machine...easy to use.

For what's its worth. I work midnight shift. I can put a pork butt on around 7:00 PM, go to work and at 7:00 AM take it out, wrap and let rest for a few hours and have a nice pan of pulled pork...of course injections, sauce, and rub to your taste...

While I prefer doing butts n things on my WSM, I do love my Masterbuilt for those days where you can't spend as much time as you like with your smoker. IMO, It is great for slow smoking cured sausage as it will produce smoke at as little as 120 degrees

This was my first smoker. While it doesn't impart a lot of color and smoke flavor into the meat it is super easy to use and can be used as a warming box as well. You mentioned already having a couple WSM's and you obviously have experience, but for those who want to dabble into starting to smoke food the Masterbuilt is a great option because it is hard to mess up and can help ease people into charcoal/wood smokers without being overwhelmed.

I used to have one of these. Worked great.

Here's a tip: In the wood chip tray, add 1-2 charcoal briquettes, along with the wood chips. The reason to do this is that since the electric heater goes on and off, theoretically, when it is off, the wood chips aren't creating smoke. The charcoal briquettes are always "on", creating smoke and helping to keep the wood chips going. Also, having the briquettes also adds to a little smoke ring!

I used to have one of these. Worked great.

Here's a tip: In the wood chip tray, add 1-2 charcoal briquettes, along with the wood chips. The reason to do this is that since the electric heater goes on and off, theoretically, when it is off, the wood chips aren't creating smoke. The charcoal briquettes are always "on", creating smoke and helping to keep the wood chips going. Also, having the briquettes also adds to a little smoke ring!

I have never tried that in mine. Seems like a good....no GREAT idea! Thanks for the Tip.

Back