I'm not man enough to eat that mess anymore.

Like others: keep dinner simple/light. BBQ is for lunch, and then in moderation. Sometimes I have BBQ for breakfast, too. I also switched to kegged beer (not bottled), so I can have 3-4oz with dinner. A full bottle will mess up my sleep during the week. Or start drinking at noon (in moderation) but stop by 6pm (my weekend routine).

The only thing worse than getting old is, well, not getting old.

Yep, this is what I do and it works for me as well. :thumb:

For me it's the BBQ sauce. For whatever reason it just doesn't agree with me. Really good BBQ doesn't need it anyways.

Lantern: If you are having problems with greasy foods it may be gall bladder problems, my bro-in-law has had problems with it for years and we finally got him to talk with a doc to take it out.

Hey Neighbor,
I'm sorry to hear about those gastro problems. Maybe a good Doc can help you alleviate that. It's good to hear that you can enjoy your own home made Q.
I still want to try 12 Bones in Asheville. But since I got my WSM, I find that I can make better babybacks and spares myself than the BBQ joints I've tried around here.
I do like the Brunswick Stew at Phil's, though.

JP

When I was a youngster I could eat anything and I was a bottomless pit, not so much now. I have to eat in moderation on almost anything and certain foods do affect me. As an example of how our bodies change with age about 5-6 years ago I suddenly developed an allergy to fish it started off subtle but over the course of a year it became a serious issue to the point that if I handle fish and touch my lips or eyes I swell up in those areas. If I eat fish now its an Epipen and a trip to the hospital.

Hello guys and gals. Easter weekend has this reply a little slower than I usually am at replying.

I'm VERY sorry to confuse a few of ya'll. I spend so much time on this board that I consider it a bit like close friends that know every little quirk I have ahead of time without much backstory.

First, I have had GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) for many many years and it's permanent unless I had surgery to fix the little flappy thing that seals the top of the stomach off. Over the past 10-15 years I've learned what I can and can't do......and what I shouldn't do, but do anyway because I love it.:heh:

I take prevacid daily and it's the only thing I've found to make me a happy camper after sooo many other pills.

I do not have a gallbladder. I developed polyps in mine and started having lovely painful attacks about 10 years ago. I still remember how sexy the women in radiology were, but can't think of anything benign enough to go through to get back and say high again without any clothes on except my gown.

And now to the point of my thread. I am in NO WAY giving up BBQ or even changing how much I eat it. Or any other(well prepared) non bbq foods that restaurants serve.

It's just that over the years I have found what my body likes and doesn't like. And in almost any case I can work around what it doesn't like through moderation or medication if there's no avoiding consumption for some reason.

But this is where bbq is different than most any other food. There are sooooooo many ways to introduce things that are VERY stomach and intestinally unfriendly IF you don't do things in what I consider the RIGHT way when it comes to BBQ prep and cooking.

If the food is done the way I do it at the house(fresh untreated meat, no msg-like chems in my rubs and most importantly thin blue smoke from an all wood fire) then I can eat more than one human should be able to eat and feel only the effects normally associated with gluttony.:redface:

However, at restaurants I run into BBQ that has either failed to do one or all of those things to a degree that there no amount small enough to eat and no medicine strong enough to take that my body doesn't go into full rejection mode for 24 hours.

So, now I've come to the conclusion to give up trying every bbq place I find when I'm out and about. It's just not worth the risk anymore. Now, if a place comes HIGHLY recommended and regarded I will certainly give her a run....body be damned.

So, again. I'm definitely NOT giving up BBQ. Just the mess served at most restaurants.:becky:

Hey Lantern,

Buddy, I had the same issue for a long time. I am, in no way, implying anything with this next comment but please know that I am only writing from personal experience.

Over the past 10 years, I've probably picked up about 25lbs and my indigestion/GERD/heart burn have increased 10 fold. I would find myself in the middle of the night jumping out of bed because the acid coming up into my throat and feeling like the world was about to burst into flames. It got so bad that one time in the middle of the night the only thing that I could find in my house that would help neutralize the acid was baking soda and water. It would go down but the bubbling would come out like lava and I would find myself vomiting into the sink.

I thought that the combination of OTC Prilosec (generic) in the morning and an alka-seltzer before bed was a pretty good combination. I still woke up some nights with reflux and I was at my breaking point. I finally saw my doctor and told him about these problems (also the fact that my esophogus was so damaged that I could literally retrieve whatever I had just eaten by squeezing my throat muscles). Things were getting very damaged and I was getting very scared of esophegial cancer.

My doctor prescribed Protonix for me and I have been taking it for the last month. This medicine in the generic form is about $8 for 90 days worth. This has been a game changer. I haven't had heart burn for about 3 weeks. It will take about a week or so to start working properly.

I have also started moving and exercising. I have dropped a few pounds and have a ways to go. With that being said, speak to your doctor. If you don't have a doctor, have a full work up and ask for the medicine. Get active if you aren't and start enjoying your life more (and with a little moderation!). Good luck.

Jesse

Oh no offense taken!

I know the nights you describe very well. I've had my visits with the doc and the gastroenterologist. And you are dead on about the condition getting worse with weight. In peak condition I'm 6'7" and 240-250lbs.......right now I'm about 50 up on that. But, even when I had foolishly lost down to 208(ever see an emaciated horse?) I still had reflux but with every pound it DOES get worse.

I've figured out that besides poorly cooked bbq that the subpar casings on sausages case really take it to me.

I've been thinking STRONGLY about going to the doctor and asking about gluten intolerance. As I grow older I've went from ZERO allergies and loving pets to horrid allergies and reading visits to friends homes that have pets. So it only makes sense that I'm probably experiencing yet another new intolerance or allergy.:tsk::tsk:

Yeah; old age ain't for pussies.

I had my gallbladder removed and that has "unpleasant" complications with fat digestion. So now I use my BBQ as an ingredient rather than as an entree. This necessary adaption also has me eating much more vegetables.

Some of my favorites:

• smoked chicken enchaladas
  • pulled pork tacos
  • smoked pork chile verde
  • red chile con carne

If you have a problem with hot peppers too, just tone it down by substituting some hot peppers with bell peppers; or some other type of "sweet" pepper.

Mark

I'd love to know what some of the triggers are, I have the same issue, sometimes, no problems, and sometimes bad reactions. I have a feeling phosphates cause reactions for sure, I never use them at home..

Protonix has made my GERD livable. I have had my stricture stretched 3 times now and my gastro says to expect it again in about 3 years... In my case this is hereditary. My gastro doc put me on dexilant last fall... OMG it killed the acid, but made it so that I was keeping the toilet more company than family. I switched back to the Protonix.
I seldom eat bbq or steak away from home. It is not as good as mine and often leads to the discomfort that you are describing. Fast food is limited when traveling. We can all get a good meal at chick fillet without worrying about any issues. I find that I can eat hot and spicy foods for lunch. I try to eat early in the evenings so that I am not laying down with an over filled stomach. I have limited my coffee intake to 2 cups a day max...
Hope that you get a solution that makes things better!

I am finding as I get older, I can't eat a lot at one time (I don't get my money's worth at buffets) but I eat all day long.

This for me too. My wife says I don't eat enough at a sitting for my skinny frame but I will be eating throughout the day. I will eat 1 plate at a meal and seldom go back for seconds but within an hour I am hungry again after the food has been put away and kitchen cleaned. I sleep with a bottle of antacids by the bed for occasional reflux. I have always loved hot spicy peppers and when I was a teenager I used to sit in front of the TV and watch football and eat an entire jar of homemade (not store bought) bread and butter pickled jalepenos. I still can these every year but can usually only eat a couple rings a day. I cannot tolerate the heat anymore. Coffee puts me in the bathroom within 30 minutes of a half cup. I travel for work too so I got to plan my route each morning to see if I can have some coffee before I leave home. Walmart has become my best friend for bathroom stops...:becky:

My wife on the other hand has a bunch of stomach issues and she says the smoked foods bother her stomach more than some stuff although everything seems to bother her some. My God what i would give to be 18 again..................:pray:

Up until 5 years ago I could eat just about anything, anytime with no ill effects.. not anymore. I got scoped and my gastro doc said I have reflux problems coupled with IBS. Now I have to eat lighter overall and not overeat at dinner. Coffee sometimes causes me problems, so I don't really drink it anymore.. thank God beer doesn't :wink: Nexium helps the reflux and Bentyl seems to help the IBS, although I think eating a lighter dinner does more for me. Probiotics helps too when I remember to take them.

There is an active thread that I started a few weeks ago in the Healthy Lifestyles section of this site called Paleo "Caveman" Diet. Since cutting out Sugar/Processed/Grain/Dairy etc I have really improved my digestive health. I too had occasional reflux but not severe. I haven't once had it since starting paleo and my GI feels so much better. I have also been able to pinpoint some food allergies whereas before I had no idea. I actually eat WAY more BBQ and grilled foods than before I just limit rubs to what paleo suggests and eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and certain oils. From testimonials a lot of people started out with similar stories to those in this tread and after making dietary changes were able to get off the meds. Just a friendly suggestion from someone who started less than a month ago and has already seen improvements in health. To stay on topic, eating out is difficult I will admit that all day long. I travel frequently for work and find it very challenging to find a good quality meal. Lately salads with grilled chicken seem to be one of the few healthy options. I do like traveling to Texas as they typically skip the sugar rubs and stick with S&P so I can get my fill on BBQ. Best wishes to all!

Back