• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need help on a fundraiser

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My church just called me and asked to help cook the meat for their fundraiser in May. It is to help the youth raise money. Here's my question. They want to do brisket and pulled pork.

My thought process is they want to get the most bang for their buck and with the price of beef the way they are I just don't see them getting a lot of bang for their buck with brisket. Is this a good or bad idea to use brisket?

Plus our church isn't going to pay over $10/plate for a fundraiser. I know this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Definitely don't do brisket. If they want 2 meats, I'd go with chicken or sausage. If you're doing plates, a chicken quarter is very cheap to do.

Yeah, I just got off the phone with the guy heading it up and mentioned this. He said he didn't realize brisket had gotten that expensive. He's not a bbq guy so I can understand.

So we're doing pulled pork and chicken quarters. :clap2:

Thank you sir!!!

No problem! You're doing the right thing by selling plates too. You get a lot more bang for your buck with plates/sandwiches than trying to sell whole butts. We're doing a big fundraiser cook tomorrow and saturday for a local church. 250 butts that are either pre-sold for $25.00, quarts of pulled pork (about 2-1/2 pounds) for $15.00, and sandwiches for $5.00.

I think what we're doing is plates with two sides, slice of bread and maybe a slice of cake that I'm sure a lot of the ladies will bake up and want to put in there. I'm just not sure what to charge. At first blush I'm thinking no less than $6-8$/plate. Is that too high or too cheap?

Definitely don't do brisket. If they want 2 meats, I'd go with chicken or sausage. If you're doing plates, a chicken quarter is very cheap to do.
I Agree. 10# bags of quarters around here go for $.49-$.99. I know that's a pretty big swing, but even not on sale, not too shabby.

I think what we're doing is plates with two sides, slice of bread and maybe a slice of cake that I'm sure a lot of the ladies will bake up and want to put in there. I'm just not sure what to charge. At first blush I'm thinking no less than $6-8$/plate. Is that too high or too cheap?

Are all the inputs being donated? I think $8 would be a good price if you are trying to raise money. People would probably put out $10 since it is going for the kids.

Are all the inputs being donated? I think $8 would be a good price if you are trying to raise money. People would probably put out $10 since it is going for the kids.

The meat will be paid for by the church and most of the ingredients to make the sides will to. I think a lot of the ladies will make deserts on their own to donate so we can put in the plates.

8$ is fair.
We do chicken dinner fundraisers of chicken quarters beans and slaw with a roll and charge 8$ and we always sell out
Of it's a church you should try and solicit donations from supermarkets and such. It's tax detectable for them. We get all kinds of food donated.

Back