MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

Default general NSF question

BBQ Business 101, just thinking here.

Is there specific items that have to be NSF approved to be used in a commercial BBQ business (be it catering or a full on restaurant) or is it just everything that comes in contact with the food.

I've seen NSF approvals on tons of small things (knives, cutting boards, racks and shelving) but I'm wondering about specialty items in BBQ like the smokers themselves. I'm sure the expensive smokers like the Southern-Prides have their NSF approval, but I've eaten plenty of Q that is cooked outside in an offset smoker. Does your smoker just have to be seen by the inspector, or is there a list of approved smokers? What is the possibility of having a UDS approved?
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Depends on the county of operation, but most smokers are required to be NSF. I would check with your local HD if you were considering buying a smoker for a business.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Good advice to check with lcoal HD about smokers for a restaurant. I bet the rules are very different in Athens Ga than in a lot of States.