MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
PaulG78
On the road to being a farker

Default At grate temperature vs. ambient temperature

Ok, maybe I'm over thinking this issue but here goes. Using my UDS I have a temp probe set in a piece of wood on the lower grate. This is the temp I use to adjust my air intake. The grate temperature is as much as 50 degrees different (higher) than the temp I get using a 3" stem thermometer though the side of the drum at the same height as the probe. Should I be going by the grate temp or am I cooking at too low a temp? For instance would I be cooking at 250 stem thermometer temp, which would actually be closer to 300 at grate?
PaulG78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
LT72884
Babbling Farker

dang, your UDS acts way diff than mine. Thermo below grate is 300 and above grate is 250. I use a drip pan under my food so i know that has alot to do with my 50 degree temp change. I always go off of the one above my grate because it is closest to my food and it is above the drip pan like my food is.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG78 View Post
The grate temperature is as much as 50 degrees different (higher) than the temp I get using a 3" stem thermometer though the side of the drum at the same height as the probe.
cool that means you built it right!!!!!
you will always get a cooler temp the closer you are to the edge.
so now you know the temp difference is about 50* all you need is the temp probe in the side to adjust your cooking heat.
when you see 250 outside you know you are cooking at 300 in the center.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE FARM View Post
cool that means you built it right!!!!!
you will always get a cooler temp the closer you are to the edge.
so now you know the temp difference is about 50* all you need is the temp probe in the side to adjust your cooking heat.
when you see 250 outside you know you are cooking at 300 in the center.
thats good to hear because my UDS is the same. I put a small themoreter on the side at grate level and on in the middle of hte lid. the lid measured 50 degrees hotter. I figured I should go with the side since it was at grate level. But my first cook seamed to cook quick (hot). The second one I put a themoreter right on the grate in the middle and it seemed to match the lid level. In other words, a 50 degree delta between the middle of hte grate and the edge. I think I could tell a difference in the cooking of the meat in the meat closer to the center seamed to cook more (hotter).

I was worried I had a problem but I guess that's correct.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

on my drums i use turkey fryer thermos, they are about 12 inches long so they get to the center of the drum. They are set 1 inch below the bottom grate.
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE FARM View Post
on my drums i use turkey fryer thermos, they are about 12 inches long so they get to the center of the drum. They are set 1 inch below the bottom grate.
Yep. ^^^What he said^^^ A 12" stem puts the probe tip just shy of the center of the grate. I bored out a grease fitting to the size of the thermo probe and then just threaded the grease fitting into the side of the drum. The probe slides in and out with ease, but is still held solid and is tight enough to not have any air-leak impact on temps.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

My grate temp runs 50-70 degrees hotter than my pit therm w/ 3" stem.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
PaulG78

Then if you were following a recipe which said for example: Smoke ribs at 225*.....would you want the temp at the center of grate at 225* or the temp at the sides of the drum at 225*? See, I'm overthinking this huh.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG78 View Post
Then if you were following a recipe which said for example: Smoke ribs at 225*.....would you want the temp at the center of grate at 225* or the temp at the sides of the drum at 225*? See, I'm overthinking this huh.
That would be your grate temp. A lot of times if I don't feel like rolling out my Maverick, I just run my pit therm at around 180, and I know my center grate temp is around 230 or so..

Old 07-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
PaulG78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
That would be your grate temp. A lot of times if I don't feel like rolling out my Maverick, I just run my pit therm at around 180, and I know my center grate temp is around 230 or so..
Cool , that's what I've been going by, grate temp. So if you're doing it and I'm doing it, it must be right. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Now, see?? That's what's cool about this place. No idea why I'm reading this thread, I don't have a UDS, but I now know I need a Turkey Fryer Thermo or two for my CharGriller Pro....

Thanks for bringing the subject up!! And for the answers/ideas...
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote