MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Matt N.
Got Wood.

Default Rub for pig roast??

I'm going to be attempting my first pig roast tomorrow and I'll be using the Caja China for the first time. I know the temps are going to be much higher than what I would normal cook a Boston Butt at so I'm wondering what would be good to use for rub/meat seasoning? I really like Plowboys Yardbird on butts and thought it would be great on the pig but I'm concerned that with the higher temps the sugar in the rub is going to burn. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, what should I put on the skin to season it? Just a little oil and salt is what I was thinking.
Matt N. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

When we did our hog, we mixed a healthy amount of rub with apple cider and used it as a mop.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Matt N.
Got Wood.

Not sure I'm going to be able to mop it. The instructions say not to open the Caja China until the meat has reached 187 degs. I suppose I could just do a simple salt, pepper and garlic powder to season the meat.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
wildflower
is one Smokin' Farker

check the web site, they have some rub listed
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Matt N.
Got Wood.

Thanks. I checked the website but didn't find much for rub info. Just some Adobo Criollo seasoning that they sell.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

I split the skin along the backbone and pulled it loose a little and simply poured in vinegar and salt. Turned out great.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote