Brisket and Pork "Hybrid" smoke. Advice?

speedrcer1

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi all,
doing a brisket and pork shoulder. My CG goes nice and low and hates going past 225. Not a bad problem, but makes for huge cook times. My pork and brisket normally take 13 to 15 hours. Not good for a 6PM dinner time. Count back 15 hours plus some rest time and I'm looking at a 12 AM start time. This being a Char-griller, it needs attention. So I'm going to be up every 2 hours to tend to it. I'm OK doing this at a Comp, but just want to avoid this.

My idea: Put it on the smoker from 7PM till about 12AM. Pan it and wrap it then and put it in the oven at 170-180 (advice here?) Take it out at 6 am back on the smoker till she gets to temp. (200)

Anyone ever try something like this? Or just sleep on the couch?

Many thanks for suggestions!
:attention:
:wave:

Sounds not too bad. I think I would raise the oven temps a bit and maybe just bypass the morning smoking all together. Maybe instead unwrap it in the oven (on a rack) to let it dry out a bit. Dunno, never tried it. It's nice out today; maybe just sleep out next to the smoker ;)

I think your proposed method sounds good but I also might skip the final smoker step as you won't pick up much more smoke flavor at the higher temps. I have finished a couple briskets in an oven set at 250 degrees and they turned out great.

I have done this. Start it on the smoker for 2-4 hours to get some smoke on it, then set your oven for 190. Use an oven thermometer to test it, don't trust your stove. On my stove, 190 is somewhere in the "warm" setting. Foil the brisket, put it in a large foil pan, and leave it overnight in the oven. I also put another pan of water on the shelf under the brisket to ensure there is no direct heat from the oven burner.

VERY IMPORTANT: cook in a foil pan. If you don't have a drip pan, you could burn your house down. Really.

You can cook until done in the oven, but I would put it back in the smoker for an hour to set the bark at the end.

Another option to consider: If you can get your smoker to 350, you can do a fast cook of a brisket in 4-6 hours. Lots of threads here discuss the fast cook.

Back