• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Who uses a burn barrel to pre-burn your wood?

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just fabricated my burn barrel today, and was wondering how many brethren used a similar set-up

I've done it a few times. I don't notice any difference.
Old fashioned "direct - cook above the heat" pits need to use it because there was/is no way to feed fresh wood in except though the bottom of the huge pits. I stick to my stick burner.

I don't see a pic.

What we do, is take a drum, 55 gallon or more, stand it up open end,
poke a couple of holes on each side just above the bottom rib,
stick a couple of pipes through the holes,
cut a hole in the side of the barrel just below the rib wide enough and tall enough to stick in a flat point shovel and bring it out full of coals.
We stack the logs on the pipes so as they burn down, the big coals fall through. That is what we load in the cooker.

Jshepwnc..........;}-

newshots027-1.jpg

Like this???

newshots053.jpg

I love a clean burning fire.....

I don't see a pic.

What we do, is take a drum, 55 gallon or more, stand it up open end,
poke a couple of holes on each side just above the bottom rib,
stick a couple of pipes through the holes,
cut a hole in the side of the barrel just below the rib wide enough and tall enough to stick in a flat point shovel and bring it out full of coals.
We stack the logs on the pipes so as they burn down, the big coals fall through. That is what we load in the cooker.

Yup - That is it. I will take pics later today

I have used when true pit direct heat method. On my Lang 84 offset I do not use, just throw the sticks in after starting with a chimney of charcoal. Key I have found is keep enough airflow for sticks to burn & not smolder (Blue Smoke vs. thick white) which means smaller fires for same heat (225').

White man build large fire and stand way back and indian build small fire and get close to warm hands.

Nice??????????? Thanks,but................

It's just a barrel with a (fond by dumpster diving) fire pit screen around it,re-cycled. I couldn't help it, looked cool.:wink:
If you want nice;

aug2009brisketeggsveggies008.jpg

here's what I consider NICE:!::!::!:
I love "FLO".Such a 'HOT' lady:icon_cool

Back