MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Meet...The Beast

Well, as promised, I would like to introduce y'all to my new pit. Don't really have a name yet, but perhaps MOAB-OS is in order. It could be called a Bandera-like pit, but it was really thought of to scratch an itch I had myself. I envisioned this pit about a year ago and speant months deciding whether I wanted it or something a bit more standard, and then deciding how to have it built. In the end, I had changed my mind a few times on size, but settled on something I think is ideal, and went to Lonestar pits to have it built. Some of you may know that Lonestar is the company that hired Steve from Bates pits, and even though he is the head pitmaster there, the business is run by Tom now. Tom and Steve were great the whole way through, and I highly recommend them to design and build almost any pit you have in mind. Very friendly and accomodating to my every concern, and in the end, they really went above and beyond, adding features to my pit for free. Overall, they are very affordable too, or at least are as of this writing. I truly expect their prices to go up with quality and service like I have seen. Not trying to be a walking billboard for Lonestar, but there has been enough bad press, and they were so helful the whole way through, I would like to encourage any one interested in a custom pit to consider them.

So the details of my pit: As I said, it could be called Bandera-like, but I prefer just to call it a Vertical-Offset, and a rather big one! It's 24" deep by 33" wide. The smoking chamber is 36" tall, and there is about 12" of resouviour under the lowest grate. I supposed I could put a water pan there, but have no intention. If anything, I'd just fill it up with water directly, and drain when done. The firebox is 24" square, 1/2" thick, which is plenty of room, and has the combination griddle/grill on top of it. I've also found that to be a good side stand and log warmer.

One of the biggest problems I've found so far is that it's quite heavy. So heavy that I was not about to try to move it to get a good picture, and this is all I've got. My camera doesn't go wide enough angle to get the whole thing, but I think you can get the general feel from here. In a bit, I'll have some pron on the first cook and comments on that. Enjoy. The longer I have this pit, the more I enjoy it!

dmp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pit_1.jpg (75.5 KB, 403 views)

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Here is another pic that Tom took while it was still at Lonestar.

dmp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0897.jpg (56.5 KB, 399 views)

Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

When your camera can't fit everything in the picture, back up.

The beast is awesome. How long until we see some action pics?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Westexbbq

Looks great,
congratulations.
Look forward to follow up pics of cookiing in action.,..
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
jestridge

Looks great also look expensive. When are you going to try her out.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
scott millman
On the road to being a farker

Sweet Unit dmp, I can only live through the pics I see from all of you with cookers like that....someday....someday
scott millman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Dang..that thing is a beast....Need more Pic's

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default pr0n!

So, as promised, I will be posting a pictoral of my first cook on the beast. One of the big reasons why I got this cooker is that I believe in the power of hanging food as you smoke it, particularly ribs. Combine that with the 20 slabs of loin ribs in the deep freeze and my general lack of desire to cook all day/night, and baby backs were the subject of the first cook. I was told late that chicken would be better for other members of the household, so I decided to through on a few quarters as well. Of course, while I was cooking all of this, I threw on some ABTs and a fattie. The ABTs were pablanos stuffed with a mixture of "hot" Jimmy Dean and cream cheese and then wrapped with thick bacon. The fattie was "regular" Jimmy Dean wrapped around the the remaining hot sausage/cream chease mixture. I ended up throwing some slabs on for a "Brother" who lives close by, and between seven slabs, four chicken quarters, ABTs, and a fattie, I cooked more than my old NBSS' capacity on the first cook. Excellent!

The Sausage and chicken were done after about 3 hours, and then they came off to become snacks. I liked the sausage okay, but the stuffed peppers ruled. May pass on the sausage going forward, but will definitely be stuffing some more capsicum pods! The ribs came off in two tiers: The first for the "Brother" were a little bit pre-done, but timing required it, and he said he may throw them in the oven for a few. The batch which came off second were excellent. I thought about it all night, and I'd say that they are among the best ribs I have ever made! Note, not the best ribs I've ever eaten. Ribs were never my strong point in the past, but these were great! Gonna cook again in two weeks for a party, again outpacing my NBSS' capacity. This first cook has been exciting, and I look forward to learning the pit more in the future! Pictures below. Please beware that the last shot isn't to show how large my bite area is, but rather to show my pride how the meat was just falling off the rib bones. Nearly perfect! Next post, I'll talk about the pros and cons of the cooker itself, at least so far.

dmp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_JustIn.JPG (64.1 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 02_FewHours.JPG (79.1 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg 03_Sausage.JPG (89.0 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg 04_Chicken.JPG (89.6 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg 05_Ribs.JPG (114.0 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 06_RibBone.JPG (99.3 KB, 377 views)

Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Even with that much meat that thing looks cavernous!!! Very nice cooker.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
When your camera can't fit everything in the picture, back up.

But be sure to check to make sure you aren't backing up into a thorn tree or something like that. (voice of experience mod)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

That is some great looking food! I love the hanging idea . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post

But be sure to check to make sure you aren't backing up into a thorn tree or something like that.
Yeah. It's hard to tell, but if I backed up anymore, I'd be inside my house. There is a big window through which I could take a picture, but then you don't see the whole thing. Thanks for the cheers so far all.

dmp

Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Arlin_MacRae

That's one HUGE farking pit! Like Gator said, even with meat in it it's still big.
I really like the design, too.

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
smokeandbeer
Take a breath!

Looks like your Bandera has been training with Brian McNamee and Barry Bonds! A little HGH goes a long way....

Just kidding. Looks great and congrats. That is a seriously huge smoker. Very nice.
smokeandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Now that's a smoker! Did someone say Party!

Jeff
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote