• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

DigiQ used with Wood help

CodyJ.

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
All. I have a 275 gallon smoker that I like to use mostly small splits in. I start with lump but move to wood once I have a good bed formed.

I recently purchased a digiQ dx2 with two 25 cfm blowers.

I want to be able to run for 6-8 hours without having to add wood and/or check temps.

Can I do this with wood only? Do I need to put lump in the box before leaving it?

Thanks for the continued advice everyone!

--Cody J.

I have not heard of anyone using wood only to run for that amount of time without adding fuel. Rule of thumb seems to be stick burner = hourly attention.

I agree. I haven't heard it either. But with 50cfm I think it might be possible. Or with a combination of the two

With stick burners you want a nice clean burning fire. This requires quite a bit of attention with adding splits and running small hot fires.

If you are going to load up a firebox and basically choke back the fire so you can get a 6-7 hour burn, your fire is not going to be clean and you will get some terrible tasting bbq.

If you want to be able to do a long cook by hooking up a ATC and not have to worry about loading up fuel, look into a WSM or a UDS.

Thanks for the input there, but I personally disagree. I have to choke back my pit to maintain temp as it is and it's doing just fine. No soot or bitter bbq. I understand what you are saying though. I will keep that in mind for sure. Thanks for posting your knowledge here. I appreciate it and will surely find out if you are right. Haha

With stick burners you want a nice clean burning fire. This requires quite a bit of attention with adding splits and running small hot fires.

If you are going to load up a firebox and basically choke back the fire so you can get a 6-7 hour burn, your fire is not going to be clean and you will get some terrible tasting bbq.

If you want to be able to do a long cook by hooking up a ATC and not have to worry about loading up fuel, look into a WSM or a UDS.

What he said!!! ^^^^^^^^^^

So you guys are saying that forced air isn't used with large offsets?

I'm not saying forced air isn't used with large offsets. What I'm saying is that getting 6-7 hours of cook time by loading up your firebox with wood all at once isn't going to lead to a clean burning fire.

The wood isn't going to fully ignite and will smolder leading to a dirty burning fire and bitter/creosete laiden flavor.

You could try a charcoal basket, but I don't think you'll be able to control it as much as you'd like due to the size of the smoker and air leaks that you will most likely encounter. Stick burners are meant to be managed... which is why I'm thinking of investing in a WSM.
Just did some pork shoulders, in a OK Joe SXS, for a party on Saturday... by the time of the party I was exhausted from being up since 5am (other side projects and lack of sleep for a week really wear on ya). I figure, if I get a WSM, I can do small cooks like that overnight no problem... I get my beauty sleep and everyone is happy... mainly ME!!!!

So you guys are saying that forced air isn't used with large offsets?

Best thing to do is try it and see it works for and you are happy with the results. My experience is that it won't work but give it a try.

That's what I'll do. Maybe someone who has tried it will chime in and give me some pointers. Thanks!

My offset isn't 250gal (its a yoder) tried to run stick with a guru, no sucess, bitter smoldering fire, built a huge charcoal basket and found some success, now cook on my backwoods or stumps if that is any indication on how much I enjoy unattended fires doing the work.

That's what I'll do. Maybe someone who has tried it will chime in and give me some pointers. Thanks!

I've tried it on my (ex) Bandera. That's what led me to the purchase of my Backwoods. Although it's not a "quality" offset it sure cooked some awesome Q! Anyway, the results weren't so spectacular. Simply put, smoldering wood isn't a clean fire. I could definitely tell the difference when a good, clean fire was burning. That being said, to each their own...

My offset isn't 250gal (its a yoder) tried to run stick with a guru, no sucess, bitter smoldering fire, built a huge charcoal basket and found some success, now cook on my backwoods or stumps if that is any indication on how much I enjoy unattended fires doing the work.

Now that you don't enjoy tending fires anymore, I'll take the Yoder off your hands for free! Ill pm you my address and just ship it to me COD! šŸ˜

You can't blow your wood only your lumps. Stick burners are meant to be naturally aspirated and teased like your gal to keep her motor runnin at high idle.

Now that you don't enjoy tending fires anymore, I'll take the Yoder off your hands for free! Ill pm you my address and just ship it to me COD! šŸ˜

Haha. No no. I don't mind tending during the day. It's just at night that's a pain in the ass. I need at least 4-5 hours sleep.

I concur with the general consensus that this is probably not a great idea. Try it by all means, but I wouldn't try it for a special occasion cook.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'm making a charcoal basket for when I want to use the digiQ.
I will say though, the digiQ website does say that two 25cfm fans IS for use in large offsets and wood burners. Now I don't believe everything I read which is why I'm asking questions here. And I will also modify by using charcoal for over night to aide the digiQ.

I'll do regular stick burning for 4hours then throw a charcoal basket in with a few chunks on top. Hopefully this will work so I can get some rest. My smoker holds at 200-225 without much effort at all. Just needs a small split every 30-40 minutes

I don't think BBQ Guru is implying that you can use them unattended for 5-6 hours while burning sticks but rather use them as a temperature controller to help maintain steady pit temps between adding splits.

Back