Hotdog Bun Rant

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone make a hotdog bun that doesn't split along the seam as soon as you try to open it? I'm tired of having all my fixins drip out the bottom of the bun. Is any one brand better in this respect?

I was gonna say, there are these buns we used to get that were made for Chicago dogs, they never split on the hinge. Almost like a U-shaped bun.

get uncut buns and cut them on the top ?
yea, i agree that the splitting and dripping is annoying.

We got some Mini hoagie rolls from Sam's club for today's bratwurst. They were unsliced so I could cut them myself. They held together well, even when rather wet from the onions that were cooked in the beer with the brats. They also had better flavor and texture than the cheap white bread flavor and texture of most hot dog buns.

Apply steam before using..

that's what I do for the cheapie buns. has the added effect of warming them as well, just don't get em too wet.

for higher end holders like mini-baguettes..etc, never had an issue w/splitting.

The buns they use for lobster rolls really work great for hot dogs as well.

C201306-T-Lobster-Rolls-Acadia.jpg

I am also a huge fan of the New England style hot dog roll. In Maryland I can buy those rolls at Wegman's.

I was converted at the New Braunfels Sausage Festival. Great place to watch women showing off their skills with foot longs...
Amen! Those ladies really know how to handle the sausage:icon_smile_tongue:

Back