Fish smoking question

Cobra7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm smoking Talapia fillets and Tuna steaks. What temp and time do y'all recommend?

Yes over night. They have been in smoker for two hours at 120-130 so far. I just don't know how to tell if there done.

I would make sure the IT gets to 165*F. I don't think the fish was cured long enough for it to be considered cooked.

I've done light cures just overnight all the time -- it's going to depend on your prep though. Should I ask how they felt when you took them out of the brine? You're at a weird temperature. You're too hot for cold smoking and too cold for warm smoking. I typically smoke at about 150-200* until the IT is 140* or so -- usually 2-4 hours.... or I cold smoke for a 3-4 hours. I've never done tuna.

My brine consisted of brown sugar, cooking wine, lime juice, pepper corns, 1/2 onion, non iodized salt, minced garlic, bay leaves and water.

Agree with gore if you're smoking to cook and eat and not smoking to preserve. Don't worry about IT on fish- it's done when it flakes with a fork.

Don't agree with not to worry about IT when hot smoking fish. Fish is fish and it is done at 140 to 145 no matter how it is cooked. If grilling or in oven the exceptions would be fish like tuna or salmon which if cooked to 145 is overdone IMO. 125 is more in the range for these. This is based upon my experiences with smoking fish for a long time.

Back