MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Great Days Start with Open Refirs

So I had about $150 worth of meat in my spare refrigerator that included an actual prime Prime Rib, a whole pork loin and 20#s of butts.

The oldest went to feed the dog this morning and saw the refrigerator door was open. By my best guess the fridge was open about 8-12 inches for nearly 24 hours. (It sits in our storage room and not a lot of traffic.)

The pork loin is gone for sure. I opened the cry-o-vac and gone. The butts smell fine, but am wondering if they might still be good. They weren't room temp, but they weren't ice cold either. Same thing on the prime rib. Honestly, I'm a little more confident in the beef than I am the pork. But that may be driven by the $13/# vs. $1.30# difference.

I would probably eat them if it was just for me. But these are for close and extended family Christmas dinners this weekend. I really don't want mass food poisoning issues on my hands.

What say ye, Brethren?

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

"Food is cheap, doctors are expensive" - Tim Mod!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I wouldnt throw away the Prime Rib Thats fo sho!

Throw it in the freezer. Cook it durring the game. Then again you got the Chiefs, the Royals, Cook it for the Superbowl.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I understand exactly what you are saying about eating it yourself and not serving it to others. I think it is your obligation to cook and eat the entire prime rib yourself.

Seriously, your wife's nose is the best detector of when food goes bad -- or any other female member of the household.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Throw a probe in it - above 40* throw it out

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Froze it right away, so I wasn't able to probe it, Bandit. I think we are OK, at least we are so far. Nobody is sick yet, and even if we all get sick, I do believe it will be worth it. Man, that was some good prime rib.

I cooked it on my brother's new UDS I made for his Christmas present. He's ready to start smoking now. If we all die, well, at least we had a great last meal.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Hakadosh BBQ
Found some matches.

Toss the hog....as for the prime, like said above the nose knows. The same happened in my commercial kitchen a year back but with 80lbs of beef brisket. In the end we brined the meat and went the corned beef route. If nothing else, dice it up and cook the bejezees out of it in a chili. Between the long cook and the hot spice you'll kill anything lookin to kill you and yours.
3 Weber OTS
3 Converted Proofers / Upright Smokers

"from now on I'll connect the dots my own way" ~ Calvin 'n ' Hobbs
Hakadosh BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

When in doubt, throw it out. Always better to toss something than to take a chance on making someone sick or worse.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

So what was the verdict - everyone still around to tell the tale??
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote