Stoker or Guru

bustem55

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for either a Stoker or Guru for my Lang 60. I would appreciate input from any and all in regards to this topic.

I thank all for their anticipated responses.:thumb:

I have only used the Guru, and only on a UDS but I absolutely LOVE it! I am amazed how accurate it is and it is VERY easy to set up and use.

Having used both, they are both fantastic products.

Stoker:
Pros:
Control Multiple pits
Web Enabled <-- Love being able to graph the cook.
Remote Controlled via web <-- I work about 1.5 miles from home. I can start cooking in the AM and watch the cook from my desk at work along with controlling the temp, if needed.

Cons:
Size
Cost

Guru:
Pros:
Cost when compared to the Stoker
Auto door sensor. The stoker is supposed to have this but I haven't gotten it to work right yet.
Cons:
Doesn't have the pros of the stoker.

It all comes down to if you want the extra features the stoker offers. For me it was worth it, but a Guru does a great job also.

Sorry to those who love the Stoker, but some owners report that they have a lot of problems. If you look at Donnie's videos, he documents the problems quite well.

And that would be one thing... but in the videos he had nothing but problems getting tech support.

I own a NanoQ and CyberQ, and have had ZERO issues.

Something to consider.

been around both for for a long time and owned the guru for a long time. less tech support needed for the guru. while being able to do so is cool, is looking at your temps from another address that important.

I've been using my stoker for just under 5 years. Its the original unit and (2) original fans pit probes etc. Never had a problem and they've had plenty of use. I am upgrading to the new black box unit over the winter because now it has wifi, the RCA jacks light up and it's black so it won't look as dirty as mine. :)

been around both for for a long time and owned the guru for a long time. less tech support needed for the guru. while being able to do so is cool, is looking at your temps from another address that important.

I should note: I still do unattended, overnight cooks... but only when I have to.

But I am never worry-free when I do.

And it's because of something that happened a year or so ago.

I left some ribs unattended for just a minute: the time it took for my wife to call, and tell me she was on the way home.

When I went outside, I had an out of control grease fire, that narrowly missed starting the entire deck on fire

And this happened in no more than a minute, and the grill did not have a grease build up.

So I am afraid of becoming complacent, and too easy monitoring could lead me in that direction.

I've been using my stoker for just under 5 years. Its the original unit and (2) original fans pit probes etc. Never had a problem and they've had plenty of use. I am upgrading to the new black box unit over the winter because now it has wifi, the RCA jacks light up and it's black so it won't look as dirty as mine. :)

They probably corrected the issues Donnie had.

Far too many of you guys who own the Stoker tell us it works flawlessly, to doubt that.

I think either way this person goes, he'll be fine with either product.

I have a guru and it runs my drums all night with no problems. I am not quite sure why people connect them to the computer or feel the need to have it communicate over wifi, because I set it and forget it. Actually I set it and go to sleep!

While it is true Gurus have a much easier learning curve (though really not THAT much easier) they are also a somewhat less durable product. Specifically, the cable from fan to controller is VERY thin & can easily be nicked if you're not careful. Nick it & cause a short & you'll lock the controller into permanent "fan on" mode.

Stoker cables are much more durable & if you want to extend them you can use 1/4" jack stereo headphone cords. Can't extend Guru cables without getting a replacement from Guru.

Finally - & many others experience may very - I've run them side by side in the same smoker & at the same grid position. I found the Guru to read about 10 degrees off from actual temp.

If you have the cash - go with the Stoker. If not - the Guru is great if you treat it with kid gloves.

While it is true Gurus have a much easier learning curve (though really not THAT much easier) they are also a somewhat less durable product. Specifically, the cable from fan to controller is VERY thin & can easily be nicked if you're not careful. Nick it & cause a short & you'll lock the controller into permanent "fan on" mode.

Stoker cables are much more durable & if you want to extend them you can use 1/4" jack stereo headphone cords. Can't extend Guru cables without getting a replacement from Guru.

Finally - & many others experience may very - I've run them side by side in the same smoker & at the same grid position. I found the Guru to read about 10 degrees off from actual temp.

If you have the cash - go with the Stoker. If not - the Guru is great if you treat it with kid gloves.

That's the first I ever heard of a problem with the fan cable. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I never heard it before, nor had the problem with my Gurus.

I will say that the Guru units themselves are very durable -- they are in a small, anodized aluminum case that holds up well. The Stoker looks a little less durable to me, but not having had one I'll defer to others.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. I prefer the Guru because I am a Mid-Atlantic competitor, and I like knowing that more likely than not BBQ Guru will be at the event I am cooking at for help, parts, etc. I also appreciate the simplicity of the Guru in a competition setting. But I will admit some of the Stoker's monitoring functions look cool.

Back