MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mini wsm build and first cook (pron)

So i finally finished my mini. First off i got impatient i really needed a few more things to deck it out the way i wanted and didnt want to wait. So in the spirit of what building these is about anyways i decided to improvise a little, more on that in a minute first off the cook.
First cook the first cook went pretty well, i do not have pics of the cook only the build. I did have a few minor problems i think i can rectify. 1. i could not keep the temp up very high ran about 200-215 most of cook, topped at at 240 momentarily and went back down. I had to pull ribs at about 6 hours and they were not quite done, they were gooooood but a little tough. It was starting to rain and the cooker was simply starting to cool down.
The build In the Second pic you will see my ash blocker, i looked at a couple other bowls but this one was a bit bigger around and taller fit almost snug against the grate. It did have a non slip coating on it. I had seen where others ground this off, i tried scraping but no grinder handy so i decided to burn it off, I put a few coals in the bottom of my chimmney, and got those going and sat the bowl on top, let it go pulled out with tongs rinsed off in garden hose and wiped away excess, took two rounds but worked well. I decided to do the flap method it worked really well.
The 3rd pic is my charcoal basket, Did not have this on my first cook, wish i had think airflow was part of my issue. It is made of a donor grate from cheap gasser headed to land fill, Is make shift but should work perfect. You will also notice the height, decided could run it all the way up to the lip in the pan where my heat sink will be.
In the next photo you can see my setup for my shelves, as well as the adjustment i had to make to the steamer insert to make it sit in. I placed my shelves 3 in and 8 inches from top lip, this will give both about 5 inches of clearance. You also see a pie plate, did not like will replace with larger around heat sink that is slightly thicker. I am also going to chuck that insert and just use a rack since i dont think it was providing adequate air flow.

So in closing my ramblings i really like this, and think my main problem is airflow and coal management. Have the charcoal basket now will load more charcoal, and a few more lit coals than last time on top, get rid of steamer insert for a grate, find a better heat sink than the pie plate. I do want to do another one sometime, When i do it though will be a better build, take my time. The only other thing im thinking about with this is instead of painting is wrapping it in that exhaust tape.? idk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (32.2 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.jpg (76.4 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (46.8 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (71.3 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.jpg (62.0 KB, 440 views)

Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's a beauty, nice job!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

Nice SJ!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Word of caution, these mini WSMs can be top heavy when loaded. Be careful moving it. Don't ask me how I know this.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Word of caution, these mini WSMs can be top heavy when loaded. Be careful moving it. Don't ask me how I know this.

CD

Yea thanks this possibility had crossed my mind will watch that

Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Update- made a couple changes to this thing. First i found a bowl larger than the pie pan which fits perfectly down in the top ow the charcoal basket. I then took the pie plate and turned it upside down in the larger stainless bowl, which creates a great air space to help insulate. Filled basket to just below bottom of the bowl, took and put few coals in chimmey and put on other coals inserted bowl. No more steamer plate.
Temp jumped to about 340 within about 20 min. i have choke top and bottom vents down to about 1/8, waiting to see what happens. Will post some PICS of my chicken and ribs i do here later and the changes. Think i will do same as test run except start with vents about 1/4 on top and bottom.

Tags
Mini bullet, Mini WSM, smokey joe smoker