SMOKIN’ ON THE BAY Tracys Landing, MD

5-0 BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just got word today that SMOKIN’ ON THE BAY is still looking for teams. I was asked if I would spread the word to the Brethren.

This is a first year event with $10,000.00 in prize money. :clap2:

Tracys Landing, MD
Starts: 09/03/2011
Ends: 09/04/2011
KCBS Reps: NANCY MULLER, DON MULLER

Contact Information:
Dave Mullin
Phone: 443-510-3795
smokinonthebay@yahoo.com

I talked to the organizer during Holy Smoke last weekend, and evidently they are doing a -lot- for hospitality and such to attract teams. (They were also trying to get their last few teams to beat 15, which I think they did at the competition.) That was bittersweet though - we selected it for our first competition to avoid competing against some of the best teams in bbq :) but it should be a lively event. I haven't been out to the marina but a few friends have, they say its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone else gonna be there?

..speaking of "some of the best teams" :) Congrats on the walks at Holy Smoke. That heat was brutal, even going home to sleep Fri night (and skipping the middle of the day Sat) we were wiped out, I don't even want to think about being there all weekend. (But, of course, I hope we will be next year..)

Looks like I will be there. We did not plan on it since my wife is due the first week of October. We will be helping a friend of mine that is coming out of a five year break from competition.

Plus we built his pit so I want to see that baby run.

I emailed the organizer with a few questions and am waiting for a response before I send in my application. If all goes well, we'll be there.

I talked to the organizer during Holy Smoke last weekend, and evidently they are doing a -lot- for hospitality and such to attract teams. (They were also trying to get their last few teams to beat 15, which I think they did at the competition.) That was bittersweet though - we selected it for our first competition to avoid competing against some of the best teams in bbq :) but it should be a lively event. I haven't been out to the marina but a few friends have, they say its absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone else gonna be there?

First comp, eh? Need any help, just ask.

Got a spare brisket I can turn in? ;) I think I'm just gonna do the other 3 this time around, spend the winter/spring getting a good brisket together. I'm sure there's going to be stuff we forget (reading all the checklist threads now..) and stuff we mess up, but it'll be fun anyway :)

You're going to be there anyway, bring a brisket and cook it up. You never know, that's the beauty and fun of this hobby of ours!

Got a spare brisket I can turn in? ;) I think I'm just gonna do the other 3 this time around, spend the winter/spring getting a good brisket together. I'm sure there's going to be stuff we forget (reading all the checklist threads now..) and stuff we mess up, but it'll be fun anyway :)

I agree with Chris. Just buy a flat, season and put it on the same time as your butt(s). Pull at 195 internal. You can make it a lot more complex than that if you want, or keep it simple for your first time.

I agree with Chris. Just buy a flat, season and put it on the same time as your butt(s). Pull at 195 internal. You can make it a lot more complex than that if you want, or keep it simple for your first time.

Tried one in practice, it worked great. (Well.. mostly. I carved it and it was tough as nails - fully expected 2s & 3s in tenderness. The next day I went to slice it for sandwiches and realized that the meat had curled up and I had basically sliced it at a 45 degree vertical angle. Doh! Sliced it flat and it came out fine.)

The other reason I was considering skipping brisket was grill space - the cheap offset gave its all during practice cooks, and the Beast (double 55gal woodstove kit) is pretty much unmanageable. So I built a UDS instead :) Should be room for 2 butts and 2 briskets on together. (I'll find out at next week's practice.)

Back