MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Big Steel Keg or BGE?

A friend of mine is looking at these two. Biggest difference seems to be that BGE is ceramic, and the BSK isn't. That would seem to be to be a step back, as I really like the clay oven radiation and insulation. But I haven't seen the BSK, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Both cook well. The BSK is double-wall, so it is insulated and holds heat well. I have tried pizza or baking in a BSK. Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
y2kflhr
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have had my bsk for about a month now, I have cooked chicken, brisket, ribs, mooinks, fatty's, and steaks....

I have nothing to compare it to but the unit is well made, holds the heat extremely well, after doing a 650 cook for steaks, I closed it down and it stayed in the 400 range for at least 2 hrs.

The brisket and the ribs I cooked at 225-250, it held temp with very little fussing with the outside temp around 50, I even went out for a few hours and found it just like I left it.

I was afraid of having the ceramic crack since I have a small deck I need to move it around after cooking so the BGE made me nervous.

all in all I am very happy with the unit and would highly recommend it
y2kflhr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a KEG, which is the older version of the BSK. I've had the KEG fo about a year now and have no complaints. Temp control can be challenging at times, but I'm sure it's the same way with the BGE. Once you get some cooks under your belt, temp control is easy.

I've done low and slow cooks as well as high temp cooks. Butts, chicken and ribs are great cooked at 225-250 and steaks and pizza are great cooked at 500+.

Temps come up quick so you will need to pay attention and start closing the intakes when you get within 50-75* of your target temp.

I've loaded about 1/2 chimney of lit lump and placed unlit lump around the outer edges of the lit lump and I was able to get 12-15 hrs on one load.

The only drawback in my opinion is if you want to add more lump or wood, you will need to take the grates out and add as there is no access. I've always added alot of lump and whatever I do not use I use on the next cook.

One advantage I think the BSK has over the BGE is it will not crack. Plus the BSK is cheaper than a new BGE.

I would highly recommend the BSK. I've never cooked on a BGE, so I am a bit biased. I did research before I bough the KEG and I didn't want the hassle of being cautious about the BGE cracking. Price also paid a part in my decision.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the thoughts. I was sold on ceramic because of the even heat redistribution. The mass as well as the insulation. That was my thought, anyway.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Ted are you planning on using it in comps?

I know a guy who has both and he likes the BSK for portability for comps or camping.
He was nervous about transporting his egg long distances.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I've got two kegs and love them. All that has been said here is true. I really like how the keg is lighter and more mobile than a BGE. This will allow me to compete in my first comp. in a few weeks. There are a few on the keg forum that have both and they say they cook very similar, not a whole lot of difference. If anything the keg retains heat a bit more as it's cooler to the touch on the outside than a BGE. There is a small learning curve as all cookers have one.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have a Bubba Keg which is the previous version, and almost identical. In terms of fuel efficiency they will be about the same on short and medium cooks, but on really long cooks I think the Egg might have an advantage. I have never cooked on a ceramic, but my understanding is that once all that ceramic heats up it takes a ridiculously small fire to keep the grate temp up where you want it. Also, while they should both cook pretty evenly, I bet the Egg will be a bit better on this as well due to the fact that heat radiating back from the ceramic walls will make the inside like an oven. I may be wrong and the Keg may do just as well on everything.

All this being said I love my Keg. I got mine on clearance from Home Depot for $225 and have never regretted it. And the best thing about it is, if you drop it or knock it over its not ceramic and you still have a cooker.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Kamado Joe, $200 less expensive than BGE, comes fully assembled with cart, finished bamboo hardwood side shelves, powdercoated stainless steel and more. I absolutely love mine, my Traegers are so jealous. And they come in black or red.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Got a Bubba keg and love it for pizza and I love it for the portability. I just attach it to the hitch on the truck or RV.