kids q

B

beam boys bbq

Here are my thoughts. Caleb, my 8 year old son, was ranked quite well last year. I, his dad, was accused of cooking his hamburger for him.
This is not true, he has cooked more hamburgers all ready this year than i have cooked BBQ.

At the Hermann MO contest, they make everyone come up and cook on a grill in front of the judges. He didn't do too well there, so he said that he did not want to do Hermann because he was not cooking on his grill (and I can see his point )
It would be like someone giving us a new smoker that we have never cooked on and telling us to do the best you can. We, as the cook, would hate it.

My thoughts on how to equal this out fairly.

Have kids q one hour before KCBS turn in, and have a judge at each kid q camp just to watch over the whole cooking process. Then walk the kid into the tent with their presentation. This judge would then be required to sit at another table so as they would not be tasting the same hamburger they watched being cooked.

Your thoughts?
York

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they do this at Laurie, MO. I don't have a problem with it, but some might have not like seeing a judge sitting at a cook site for an extended period of time right before turn in. Laurie says they use the observers as table captains.

We do a kids q at a local comp. It is done in a small, roped off area. The kids are allowed to use thier own cooker, and have one adult present. There are 2 comp reps overseeing the group (That do not judge). Rules state that the contestant must perform all hands on work, if the adult helper is witnessed with any utensils, food, or anything deemed "cooking or preparing", the contestants entry will be DQ'd.

One of the things I have done is cook a porkchop right next to my daughter's and she watches what I do. Last event she got 1st place out of over 20 entries, I was very proud of her, she actually paid attention for a change.

We do a kids q at a local comp. It is done in a small, roped off area. The kids are allowed to use thier own cooker, and have one adult present. There are 2 comp reps overseeing the group (That do not judge). Rules state that the contestant must perform all hands on work, if the adult helper is witnessed with any utensils, food, or anything deemed "cooking or preparing", the contestants entry will be DQ'd.

Well put and done. I think that one is a well thought out event, and well organized. I think the intimidation of cooking directly in front of the judges with strange equipment is too much stress on them. I know it would be on me....

This is crazy... They don't go to this level for the adults to make sure they don't cheat... Why put so much pressure on the kids!?! Shouldn't be necessary in my book. People taking the kids comp too seriously IMHO. Whoever accused you needs to ge t a life. Sheesh.

Look my four year old cooked a kid's Q this year. The little dudes aren't too handy with the tongs and such. I helped him flip a few of his wings when they were about to fall off or get over done. Big deal. He was involved in every major step of the process including lighting the grill. He put his own rub on. He flipped his chicken. He put his chicken in the box. Did I help flip a couple wings, guide his hand sometimes when applying seasoning, or give him some direction on what his steps were? Sure. It is all about helping them learn and encouraging them. HE cooked his chicken. He even ran his own box to turn ins... with a guiding hand by dad so he didn't tip it over.

Parents who do everything for this kids when they are young will be doing everything for their kids when they are grown. You wanna cook your's Kid's contest, plan on them being Q'less and clueless when they are older cause you never taught them.

Amen!!!!!!!!!

I have been working with my kids for a event this weekend, they know the drill but I like to keep safety in mind so I will be right there every step of the way too. I honestly don't think I will have to do anything as they are a bit older but I would step in if they were leaning towards danger.

There's a big differance in cooking for them and teaching/ enjoying/ and staying safe.
JMO

Look my four year old cooked a kid's Q this year. The little dudes aren't too handy with the tongs and such. I helped him flip a few of his wings when they were about to fall off or get over done. Big deal. He was involved in every major step of the process including lighting the grill. He put his own rub on. He flipped his chicken. He put his chicken in the box. Did I help flip a couple wings, guide his hand sometimes when applying seasoning, or give him some direction on what his steps were? Sure. It is all about helping them learn and encouraging them. HE cooked his chicken. He even ran his own box to turn ins... with a guiding hand by dad so he didn't tip it over.

Parents who do everything for this kids when they are young will be doing everything for their kids when they are grown. You wanna cook your's Kid's contest, plan on them being Q'less and clueless when they are older cause you never taught them.

atttt boy plow boy

there are some that just for get why we do the things that we do
our kids will never for get the times that they have had on the road cooking with there parents

york

Back