Nuttin' but Mutton

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A co-worker lives on a small family farm where they raise their own chickens, eggs, lamb, and produce. It mainly feeds his family of eight, but sometimes they sell or trade some of their harvests. I recently got a couple pounds of ground lamb and a small lamb roast. I'm not sure if it is a shoulder or leg (rear). Its fairly small weighing only 2 1/2 lbs. It was a small animal and has no shank to speak of. This animal was raised free range and free of any antibiotics: Organic Lamb. It looks wonderful and fresh.

I have it marinading overnight in Italian dressing, a dash of soy, dash of Maggi seasoning, and a couple dashes of Balsamic. Still trying to decide how I want to cook this. May do it tagine style with some diced tomatoes and black beans or with mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes. I probably won't smoke it or grill it, although I may put a bit of smoke to it to start, but finish as a braise. Should be awesome.

Attachments

• organic lamb 002 [640x480].JPG
    organic lamb 002 [640x480].JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 105
I posted the other day that I had eaten lamb for the first time, and I was extremely pleased with it. I grilled steaks cut from a leg of lamb.

I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Mmm. Love Lamb, but don't cook it very often because I'm the only one that does.
Can't wait for the finished pics!! BTW...what is Maggi seasoning??

PB,
I just returned from the UK last night, and I love the different ways they prepare lamb. Though it seems that all the pasture land is set aside for sheep. Saw very few horses and cows. Post some pics of your tangine in action with this cook, and the finished product. Also, are you going to use any curry?

PB,
I just returned from the UK last night, and I love the different ways they prepare lamb. Though it seems that all the pasture land is set aside for sheep. Saw very few horses and cows. Post some pics of your tangine in action with this cook, and the finished product. Also, are you going to use any curry?

Did someone say curry? :rolleyes: Just got a few curries from Penzey's. Excellent idea. I think I'll use the tandoori with black beans and tomatoes.

Mmm. Love Lamb, but don't cook it very often because I'm the only one that does.
Can't wait for the finished pics!! BTW...what is Maggi seasoning??

You must experience the magic of the Maggi!!! Good stuff. Must be used in a lot of Asian dishes because I saw gallon bottles of it at a Korean market.

Attachments

• curry maggi 004 [640x480].JPG
    curry maggi 004 [640x480].JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 73
  • curry maggi 009 [640x480].JPG
    curry maggi 009 [640x480].JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 73
looks good already!

i've got lamb chops for tonight

baaaaaaaaaa a

Lamb is on the Egg. Started with a generous amount of Kosher salt. Then rubbed with a mixture I came up with on the fly.

2 T Cactus Honey Powder
2 t Tandoori Curry Powder
1 t Smoked Spanish Paprika
1 t Chili Powder
Dash each of tumeric, mustard flour, chipotle powder, summer savory, lemon grass

Attachments

• mutton lamb curry 006 [640x480].JPG
    mutton lamb curry 006 [640x480].JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 68
hey, what's the top of that tagine look like?

Did someone say curry? :rolleyes: Just got a few curries from Penzey's. Excellent idea. I think I'll use the tandoori with black beans and tomatoes.

You must experience the magic of the Maggi!!! Good stuff. Must be used in a lot of Asian dishes because I saw gallon bottles of it at a Korean market.

Will have to look for some and try it out . Thx! The food looks awesome and not even cooked yet!!

hey, what's the top of that tagine look like?

Not a true tagine. Just a covered stoneware dish. Simlar affect.

attachment.php

Not a true tagine. Just a covered stoneware dish. Simlar affect.

oh yeah... i've seen that before, thanks. i got my la cloche because of your tagine chicken post earlier. good stuff

oh yeah... i've seen that before, thanks. i got my la cloche because of your tagine chicken post earlier. good stuff

I got a surprise coming next week from eBay that is gonna blow your mind, Rick. Just a tease for now. :twisted:

Well, it may not blow your mind, but it should be a pretty cool tool on the Egg.

Looks like the top of a leg to me. Mutton you could get away with a lower temp and longer cook time, what temp you chugging away at?

I got a surprise coming next week from eBay that is gonna blow your mind, Rick. Just a tease for now. :twisted:

Well, it may not blow your mind, but it should be a pretty cool tool on the Egg.

i'm pretty sure my mind is already blown!
what do you want for christmas, little boy?
are you sure i don't already have what it is you are holding back from us? :biggrin:

Back