My 2nd annual Bbq, pics!

Elfmaze

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just finished my day of recovery, this was from Tuesday night

~ 7am getting the pits warmed up and setting up my kitchen

Ribs, pulled pork taco salads, and Chorizo smoked mac and cheese

I didn't get to relax and eat much untill day two, this is the ribs as I was vaccum packing the leftovers. ( pulled the ribs back to the grill to keep warm and people forgot about them) ops

Smoked Chorizo mac and cheese was a hit, this is the second tray.

My parrot Monster made some new friends, he is the one eating the homemade chip.

Food, it was hard to get a picture of the Pig shots and ABT's as they disappeared quickly

People eagerly awaiting food

Thanks for the help Brethren! ALL of this came from this site from the cookers on up!

I did have a bit of difficulty with the temperature control, Wind started picking up halfway thru the cook and didn't seem to matter how much venting I closed they kept climbing, I'm guessing thats why they were darker in color? I would love to kick some off the UDS that are a bit red'er like this from Fingerlickin'

DSC_0048.jpg

I also did three rubs, One was our store bought stubbs that I have used in the past. A second was a batch of KC's rub recipe #110 and a third Is a rub i made called "Magic dust" i grabbed from somewhere on here and added a bit more spice.

Saddly, we lost track of which rack was which. I think mine were the "Magic Dust" ones due to the slight bit O heat.

Still, you fed folks, they look happy, it was all good. The red color comes from a mixture of things, heat control does help, rubs and wood makes a difference. Still, a good event. I am cooking for 30 this weekend, hope things end with folks happy and well fed.

That bbq looked like a great time with good people!

Looks like everyone had a good time, cooking for a crowd is always fun.
Is the "Magic Dust" the Mike Mills recipe of the same name?

What keeps the parrot from flying off?

Normally when the birds are younger you clip the flight feathers so they can not fly away if they try. But after you train them for handling and have them as a pet it is the same reason why dogs don't just run off and leave houses (although some do).

Where were you when I was back in A-Town in 2005? I was forced to eat rib eye at Gregory's......

Those ribs looked gooooooooood!

Great food and great folks...that's what Q is all about in my book, and it looks like you had plenty of both. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like everyone had a good time, cooking for a crowd is always fun.
Is the "Magic Dust" the Mike Mills recipe of the same name?

Not sure, This is what i'm using:

Magic dust:
Ingredients:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Edit: yup looks like Mike mills, Not sure where I picked it up. We trolled google one day grabbing about 10 rub recipies, compared/contrasted ingredients and made five batches, Magic dust was one of our favs.

What keeps the parrot from flying off?

I think it is mostly that trained thing, But he had a seed container fall on him when he was young and break his wing. Although technically its healed he doesn't fly near as well as he did even with his feathers trimmed(we let them grow back to full length to try boost his confidence in his flying). If he gets spooked the farthest hes made it is about 20 ft downwind. He doesn't seem to be able to gain altitude.... yet.

He was having the time of his life. He is a year old and has never really met many new people. after getting a few drinks in him... (yes my bird is an alcoholic and it is really hard to stop him from nabbing a drop from here and there.) he was just jumping from person to person making friends along the way. He LOVED the ribs and the chips.

And yes, birds do apparently get hangovers. lol

Where were you when I was back in A-Town in 2005? I was forced to eat rib eye at Gregory's......

Those ribs looked gooooooooood!

You will be happy to know that Gregory's is gone now. They had a kitchen fire last year, took the insurance money and cashed out. Grumpys BBq roadhouse on 15th is the best we get now and IMHO the past two times my ribs were under cooked and the membrane on bug me because it shows a lack of attention to the detail.

The owner of Grumpys is awesome though, he has had several bike nights and feeds us all pulled pork sandwiches for donations only.

Nice job! Everything looks great!

If it helps I cooked those ribs on my new WSM, rubbed with Big Butz Pig Pollen and sauced them lightly on the top side only with a 50/50 mix of blues hog and something else, I can't remember what. I mixed it up a while ago, maybe Guy Fieri's Kansas City or Head Country.

Back