MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCoonis View Post
Thanks Andrew. Yeah I put the 4" pipe as high up as I could, it's just under that top corrugated bead/bump in the fire chamber barrel. I didn't want to mess with cutting a hole through that bead. There's only about 3" from the pipe to the lid of the fire barrel, so some heat is sitting up there. Maybe if I beef upy exhaust like landarc mention it will pull more of that heat through.
true

offsets are all about airflow, and lots of it

You may need a bigger intake than what you have also, hard to say. Do you have clean blue smoke?

What are you using for fuel? just charcoal or sticks too?
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Nice looking build, it's kind of an offset-UDS. First step is definetly a couple new thermometers to find out whats going on in the cook chamber.

I'm thinking you might also have an air flow problem thats limiting your fire. Four 3/4 inch inlets only gives you about 4.7 square inches inlet and the 2 inch outlet only gives you about 3.1 square inches out. My gut says thats too small but there are lots of UDS builds with about the same; difference is the fire is in the UDS, not offset. I've never used one but maybe one of those BBQ Guru things with a blower would let you improve air flow without cutting more or larger inlets and exhaust. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks dwfisk! I appreciate your compliments. I couldn't really find any upright offset drum smokers anywhere so I thought I'd try one. Maybe there's a reason why I couldn't find another on like it! Haha!!

I think you're right about the airflow, definitely the exhaust. I think I'll start with new gauges, then more exhaust and see what happens from there. Two bad those 3/4" ball valves are like 14$ each!
NCoonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
true

offsets are all about airflow, and lots of it

You may need a bigger intake than what you have also, hard to say. Do you have clean blue smoke?

What are you using for fuel? just charcoal or sticks too?
I used charcoal and added wool chunks through out the cook. I think they were hickory, the big block chunks they sell at Home Deeps.

The smoke was thick and white when I first lit the fire for about 45 minutes. Then it turned thin and blue. Once the sun went down I couldn't even see any smoke coming out at all.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I see

I would not use ball valves, I would cut a hole in it a little smaller than the size of a tuna fish can top or whatever and then attach the can top to the drum with a single screw so you can adjust the flow, kind of like a shutter.

Maybe not use a tuna can lid, but you get the idea

Maybe some kind of sliding door arrangement

tell ya what though

for a totally new untested design you did damn well on your first cook!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Thanks a lot!! "Build first test later" has always been a problem for me...

Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Andrew
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Thanks Andrew. Yeah I put the 4" pipe as high up as I could, it's just under that top corrugated bead/bump in the fire chamber barrel. I didn't want to mess with cutting a hole through that bead. There's only about 3" from the pipe to the lid of the fire barrel, so some heat is sitting up there. Maybe if I beef upy exhaust like landarc mention it will pull more of that heat through.
yes, i agree, it will pull a draft! right on!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Thanks dwfisk! I appreciate your compliments. I couldn't really find any upright offset drum smokers anywhere so I thought I'd try one. Maybe there's a reason why I couldn't find another on like it! Haha!!

I think you're right about the airflow, definitely the exhaust. I think I'll start with new gauges, then more exhaust and see what happens from there. Two bad those 3/4" ball valves are like 14$ each!
I clarified a little on my earlier response. If I read your original post correctly and you are keeping your existing 2" closed when cooking then you are getting zero air flow. Thats an easy fix, open the exhaust wide open and control airflow with your inlets. I'm certainly not a UDS expert, don't even have one (yet) but you might be OK with 4@3/4" inlets, ball valves on a couple and just let the other two run wide open with no valves.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
NCoonis
Got Wood.

No maybe I miss typed but I definately leave the 2" exhaust open at all times. I don't even have a damper on it.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Any ideas on materials for a chimney? I can cut the 2" existing hole bigger and make it 3 or 4", but what should I use for a chimney? Home Deeps only has black Iron pipe up to 1" or galvy sheet metal ducts and chimney caps. Is galvy ok to use just for the chimney outlet?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Any ideas on materials for a chimney? I can cut the 2" existing hole bigger and make it 3 or 4", but what should I use for a chimney? Home Deeps only has black Iron pipe up to 1" or galvy sheet metal ducts and chimney caps. Is galvy ok to use just for the chimney outlet?
aluminum dryer vent

Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

Look in the electrical conduit department at Home Depot or Lowes. They should have something that screws right into that bung hole, and even if it is galvanized its just being used for exhaust. You can even soak it in toilet bowl cleaner and that will eat the galvanizing right off of it.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
SmokinSlowPoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Great lookin build! I'm jealous, I definitely want a vertical offset one of these days. Is the gauge you bought a Brinkmann by chance? If so I bought the same gauge and dont worry... its a POS! I had my rig up to about 325 with that worthless gauge reading 175 degrees.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

OK I see you are leaving the 2" exhaust open, my bad. I would think you need at least a 3". Look for a custom muffler shop, they should be able to cut an sell you a 3 ft chunk of 3" pretty cheap. It will be galvanized or nickel plated but its OK for the exhaust.

One 3" will give you the same 3.7 square inch exhaust area you have with the four 3/4" inlets.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinSlowPoke View Post
Great lookin build! I'm jealous, I definitely want a vertical offset one of these days. Is the gauge you bought a Brinkmann by chance? If so I bought the same gauge and dont worry... its a POS! I had my rig up to about 325 with that worthless gauge reading 175 degrees.
Thanks!! Yes it is a Brinkman I believe. It was the only one they had there. Anyway that makes me feel much better. I am definitely switching it out today. My wife wants my to smoke something for Easter on sunday so I guess I'll try round two with all these suggestions.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
OK I see you are leaving the 2" exhaust open, my bad. I would think you need at least a 3". Look for a custom muffler shop, they should be able to cut an sell you a 3 ft chunk of 3" pretty cheap. It will be galvanized or nickel plated but its OK for the exhaust.

One 3" will give you the same 3.7 square inch exhaust area you have with the four 3/4" inlets.
You're awesome Dave! I am most definitely making all these mods this weekend. I still have other small things like door handles and latches to put on. I'll post new pics after this weekend and let you know how it went.

Tags
barrel, custom build, drum smoker, Temperature Control, vertical smoker, vertical smoker 1st cook