MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Weber kettle second cooking grate

I know I've seen some pics of how folks managed to temporarily add a second cooking grate in the kettle but can't seem to find them searching. I've got lots of wings to cook tonight. Any ideas out there? I'm about to be going to Lowe's and Wal-Mart so I can pick just about anything up. The easier the better though.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

get a 18in or 14in grate. buy some 1-2in stainless steal bolts/washers and afix them to the extra grate and then just put the grate on your 22in grate. extra grate space!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Lay a couple bricks on the outer perimeter of main rack.....lay a smaller grid on the bricks.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've done this with a 22 inch rack on my kettle.

Last edited by dadsr4; 02-10-2013 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Added text.
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Lay a couple bricks on the outer perimeter of main rack.....lay a smaller grid on the bricks.
Tightly packed foil balls work too.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Tightly packed foil balls work too.
Perfect. Why didn't i think of foil? That's a perfect easy fix!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Buy a second grate the same size and flip it over the original grate, the 2nd grate will sit perfectly on the original grates handles, perfect for wings and ribs. Good luck!
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just a quick shot of my rig. Iuseit when I want to cook several full untrimmed slabs of ribs. The carrage bolt heads just set on the lower grate.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

The people who make the smokenator also make a product called the hover grill that supposedly works well.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
BobM
Babbling Farker

Big Green Egg makes a "Grill Extender", it's about $25, the sides fold up. I have one that I've never used.
I have my 22 1/2" OTG set up for a sirloin steak cook, I'm waiting for the wifey to get home!
I threw the grill extender in and took a couple of pics.

| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 02-10-2013 at 05:23 PM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks everyone for the great ideas, I knew the brethren would come through! I ended up using the foil trick tonight but I now have lots of tricks up my sleeves.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Big Green Egg makes a "Grill Extender", it's about $25, the sides fold up. I have one that I've never used.
I have my 22 1/2" OTG set up for a sirloin steak cook, I'm waiting for the wifey to get home!
I threw the grill extender in and took a couple of pics.

Thanks for snapping the pics for me, I appreciate at it. I think I'll pick one of those up for a more permanent solution for this kind of situation.

Last edited by chriscw81; 02-10-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
Thanks for snapping the pics for me, I appreciate at it.
Not a problem, that is what The Brethren is all about!
I'm just sitting here getting farked up waiting for the wifey to get home anyway!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Some great ideas here!!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Not a problem, that is what The Brethren is all about!
I'm just sitting here getting farked up waiting for the wifey to get home anyway!
Nice, I'm doing exactly the same thing