MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Good brisket chili recipe?

I'm usually a shoot-from-the-hip chili maker, and it usually turns out pretty darn good, but I wanted to ask the Brethren what recipes you guys like with leftover brisket as the Chili meat?

I usually do two pots, one with beans and one without to satisfy certain household cravings or lack thereof. I'm a bean guy myself, but all recipes welcome!

Thanks guys.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Here is mine.

1 Med Onion, Diced
2 Med Green Peppers, Diced
1 30 oz can of Chili Beans
2 14 oz cans of Tomato Sauce
2 10 oz cans of Diced Tomatoes with Chilies
1 32 oz bottle of Spicy V8
1.5 lb of Brisket, large dice
1 T Chili powder
1 T Salt

Sweat onions in large pots for 5 minutes, add green peppers, cook for 3 minutes more. Add rest of ingredients to pot. Simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.

You can add what ever else you want to add heat. This is just a base recipe. If you don't want beans I would add another can of tomatoes and 1 lb of brisket. Check the seasoning also. With out the beans you will not have the seasoning that comes with them.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The MoFo Brisket Chili recipe in the recipe section is excellent...

MoFo Brisket Chili
Recipe Number: 1131679118
Contributor: Jeff in KC
Rating: 10.00 based on 1 votes
Rate This Recipe
Review This Recipe Serves: About 10-12
Calories Per Serving: ungodly
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Difficulty:
Print Friendly Version
Recipe is Unreviewed

Ingredients:
2 lbs. smoked brisket (chunked, cubed)
4 strips cooked bacon (cut up)
4 cloves garlic (diced)
1 small onion (diced)
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs seasoning salt
3 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs dry mustard
1 tsp ground oregano
1 can Rotel
1 12 oz. can V8 Picante
1 small can tomato paste
1 12 oz. bottle dark beer

Cooking Instructions:
1. Chunk brisket and place in bottom of a large crock pot
2. Dice garlic cloves finely and onion finely or leave larger chunks based uopn preference.
3. Fry bacon slices in large skillet until nearly crisp. Chop bacon and retain grease in skillet.
4. Put bacon back in skillet along with diced garlic and onion. Saute until onion is transluscent.
5. Add all dry spices and seasonings except for paprika and chili powder. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture.
6. Add Rotel, V8 and tomato paste to mixture. Stir well until tomato paste is thinned.
7. Add a full bottle of dark beer. I use Fat Tire or Newcastle but any good dark beer will do. Mix well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Dump mixture on top of brisket in Crock Pot and stir well. Add a medium size jar of your favorite salsa in your prefered heat level. Then add additional V8 if the crock pot needs to be more full.
9. If you're a bean person, add a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans and mix in well.
10. Cover and set on low for a minimum of six hours, preferably 8-12 hours if time allows.

Serving Suggestions:
Try serving over Fritos with shredded cheese on top. You can also add a hotter sauce at the table if desired.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Saiko's Killer Chili is also excellent with brisket...

Saiko's Killer Chili
Recipe Number: 214
Contributor: Saiko
Serves: 10-12 servings
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty: NA

Ingredients:
1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1/4" strips (width-wise)
4 medium onions, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic (depending on how big) minced
2 28oz cans whole tomatos, chopped
4 lbs your favorite meat (I use 3 lbs beef and 1 lb pork)
2 12oz cans tomato paste
6 cups water
6 to 7 tbsp fresh ground ancho chilis (or any mild chili)
1 to 3 tbsp fresh ground arbol chilis (or any hot chili)
2 4oz cans whole green chilis, chopped
3 1/2 tsp fresh ground cumin
2 tsp mexican oregano
5 tsp salt
3 15oz cans pinto beans (Optional!, purists can omit)

Cooking Instructions:
Normally when I cook I chop everything before I start, but with this recipe its much faster to chop as you go along. I can get prep time down to about an hour doing it that way.Here is the method I use: Cut a pound of bacon in half down the middle, freeze half for your next batch of chili. Cut the remaining 1/2 pound into 1/4 in strips and start frying in a big ass pot. Meanwhile, chop 4 onions and mince 3-4 cloves of garlic. Once the bacon is crisp, remove bacon from pot and save it in the fridge, we will use it later Saute the onions and garlic in the bacon grease. Meanwhile, chop the 2 cans of whole tomatos, discard the juice. Pour the onions, garlic (and all that grease) into a bowl, and now start cooking the meat in the same pot. Meanwhile, start grinding all those chilis and cumin in a coffee grinder. Once the meat is done, I dump it into a big strainer to get the grease out (all the grease from the bacon is going back in, so that's plenty of flavor for me, it's up to you if you want to drain the meat). Now, dump the meat back into the pot, and mix in the onions, garlic and bacon grease. Add the chopped tomatos, tomato paste and water and mix well. Add the canned green chilis, the oregano, cumin, and salt. Now add the ground chilis (start with 6 tbsp of ancho and 1 tbsp arbol chilis and taste it after it's mixed well. You can bump either one of the amounts depending on your taste. My wife doesn't like any hot chilis, and I like a lot) Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep consistency. Add the bacon you saved and the pinto beans (if desired) and cook 1 more hour, then serve.

Serving Suggestions:
To grind ancho chilis, get yourself a cheap coffee grinder (don't even think about using the same grinder as your coffee, you'll NEVER get the taste out of there). Some people recommend drying the anchos in the oven before grinding, but I just tear them into small pieces and grind them fresh (dicarding the stems and seeds) If you can't find anchos, you can use any mild child such as New Mexico, etc. For hot chilis, I prefer "chili de arbol", but any hot chili will do. Discard the step sections and the seeds. Try to use fresh whole cumin and grind it also, it is much more flavorful than pre-ground.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Bartstop
On the road to being a farker

I'm a shoot from the hip kinda guy too. I keep it simple though. Brisket, beer, V8 juice (original), red onion, green pepper, roma tomatos, chicken bullion, chili powder, garlic powder, chili beans, kidney beans. Nothing fancy but it always turns out awesome.

Dave
Bartstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

MOFO brisket chili won me first place in my works chili cook off last year.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I haven't made it, but search for wampus' brisket chili. It looks like a good recipe.

I've got some leftover brisket I plan on making chili with, so this is a timely topic.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Mister Bob posted one with some great pics a few months ago

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=134996
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Where's Mthole with his bash chilie recipe. It's great, esp. when he makes it for you. My daughter loves the stuff. She talks about it all the time.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The MoFo Brisket Chili recipe in the recipe section is excellent...

MoFo Brisket Chili
Recipe Number: 1131679118
Contributor: Jeff in KC
Rating: 10.00 based on 1 votes
Rate This Recipe
Review This Recipe Serves: About 10-12
Calories Per Serving: ungodly
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Difficulty:
Print Friendly Version
Recipe is Unreviewed

Ingredients:
2 lbs. smoked brisket (chunked, cubed)
4 strips cooked bacon (cut up)
4 cloves garlic (diced)
1 small onion (diced)
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs seasoning salt
3 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs dry mustard
1 tsp ground oregano
1 can Rotel
1 12 oz. can V8 Picante
1 small can tomato paste
1 12 oz. bottle dark beer

Cooking Instructions:
1. Chunk brisket and place in bottom of a large crock pot
2. Dice garlic cloves finely and onion finely or leave larger chunks based uopn preference.
3. Fry bacon slices in large skillet until nearly crisp. Chop bacon and retain grease in skillet.
4. Put bacon back in skillet along with diced garlic and onion. Saute until onion is transluscent.
5. Add all dry spices and seasonings except for paprika and chili powder. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture.
6. Add Rotel, V8 and tomato paste to mixture. Stir well until tomato paste is thinned.
7. Add a full bottle of dark beer. I use Fat Tire or Newcastle but any good dark beer will do. Mix well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Dump mixture on top of brisket in Crock Pot and stir well. Add a medium size jar of your favorite salsa in your prefered heat level. Then add additional V8 if the crock pot needs to be more full.
9. If you're a bean person, add a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans and mix in well.
10. Cover and set on low for a minimum of six hours, preferably 8-12 hours if time allows.

Serving Suggestions:
Try serving over Fritos with shredded cheese on top. You can also add a hotter sauce at the table if desired.

Had some leftover brisket from Xmas, so I gave er a try this afternoon. Absolutley outstanding! I followed the recipe exactly, except I added a teaspoon of cocoa powder and 1/8 cup of Catsup for sweetness. Although no big deal, the author may want to amend the recipe to include when the chili powder and paprika get added. Thanks for sharing this. It's a keeper.

Pig Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote