• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri-tip, Potatoes, Mushrooms and Salad

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last Sunday our neighbors Bill and Jamie came to dinner before they left for Sequim Washington where they have another Home.
file-1236.jpg

On Saturday I went to Costco and picked up two Tri-Tips and put Morro Bay Rich's rub on them, put them into the Fridge over night
file-397.jpg

file-300.jpg

file-881.jpg

Seared them @ 500* for 3-min. a side
file-1242.jpg

file-1437.jpg

After the sear pulled the Tri-Tips off the grill, covered them with foil while I got the temp. down to 350 to 400 degrees while the Egg cool down I added some Hickory for some smoke put the tri-tips back on the grill to reach 130* internal
file-1875.jpg

Basted with the sauce every 5-min.
file-1141.jpg

file-1422.jpg

Just right
file-399.jpg

Our great neighbors Bill, Jamie, and my wife Jackie
file-2074.jpg

Served with Jackie's wonderful rendition of Giada's mashed potatoes, Pioneer Woman's Burgundy Mushrooms, and Caesar salad
file-405.jpg

I loved it, the Tri-tip was one of the best I've grilled and the rest of the meal was perfect as well

Thanks for looking

Ross

Recipes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/giadas-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/burgundy-mushrooms/

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
Morro Bay, CA 2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
Basting Sauce, recipe follows
Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
Basting Sauce:
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.
Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.
This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.
I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Your tri tip looks beautiful Ross! What a great feast. Do your neighbors need a house sitter while they are away? lol Great job, thanks for posting!

Back