MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
f308gt4
On the road to being a farker

Default How to cook half a brisket

Local grocery store had brisket flats for $3.99/lb. I went in and asked if they had one that was about 5lbs. Guy goes, no problem, I'll go in the back and cut you one. So he comes back with a piece that was about 5lbs.

Opened it up at home, and it looks like he just took a whole packer, and cut straight down on it, leaving me with a hunk of meet that has the point+some of the flat.

So, how do I cook it? Just like a whole packer? Should I try to separate out the point and flat before cooking (even though it won't be a very big piece of flat)?

My original plan (assuming I had gotten a 5lb flat) was to cook to about 165, then foil and continue to cook till probe tender. Keep with that strategy?

Thanks!
f308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I never just cook by temp, cook it until it looks good which will probably be in the 165 to 175 range then foil, also depends on what cooker? If the cooker has a water pan shield you might not have to foil at all

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I would take it back and complain. That's not a knowledgable butcher. I pay $2.48 for packers. For what you got you got ripped off! Imo

Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Half a brisket cut right down the middle cooks just like a whole brisket. i've done it several times with no problem. Don't separate the point and flat until after the flat is done if you want to make burnt ends, IMO.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshizzle View Post
half a brisket cut right down the middle cooks just like a whole brisket. I've done it several times with no problem. Don't separate the point and flat until after the flat is done if you want to make burnt ends, imo.
+100

Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
landarc

Heck, I would buy a point with a little flat attached all day long over a piece of flat. That is a good piece of meat to smoke. I would run the cook at between 275F and 325F, whatever your preference, and cook it without wrapping. Or wrap when color is what you want and wrap with butcher paper. Cook until it jiggles when fussed with.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
f308gt4

Awesome! Thanks! Plan to cook it up tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
f308gt4

Thanks again to everyone for your help. The brisket came out great!

I cooked at ~275 and did wind up wrapping in foil until it was probe tender (about 7.5 hrs total cook time). Internal temp was about 201 at that point. It was like butta, except for a small part of the point (maybe overcooked?). Nice bark too, and smoke ring.

What we didn't eat tonight, is going to go into some beef-barley soup my wife will be cooking up later in the week.