Looking for a Blues Hog source in Connecticut

M

mbrailey

I'm in from California competing in the Harpoon event in Vermont this weekend and need to get my hands on some Blues Hog. I'd like to get my hands on a gallon, but I'll take what I can get. I've called around to a few of the usual suspects (egg dealers and spice shops) with no luck.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a shop that is within a couple hours drive of southeastern Connecticut (where I am staying this week with my folks).

If said person happens to attend the event at Harpoon, stop on by 155 South's booth and I'll feed you our beef fat fries on the house.

Take care,

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike! I called and left a message. I'll likely drive up tomorrow as I plan to do a practice cook on Wednesday.

I suppose we'll see you up there at Harpoon? Look forward to meeting you if so.

Take care,

Matt

Matt, I live in southeastern Connecticut, so if you need some for your practice cook to hold you over until Fri. let me know.

If for whatever reason NEBBQ cant' fill your order (unlikely), let me know I have some for you.

there isn't one that i know of.

order a gallon and have it shipped to your folks place.

but i've got about 1/2 a jar left to hold you over. i'm a bit north of wickedbbq'er, if that make's it any easier.

if you haven't tried it already, i can also give you a sample of some smokey mountain. it is pretty tasty.

Matt, no kidding, you're cooking Harpoon??! Awesome!!!
Have a great time and good luck!

I'm from East Lyme, CT originally and always come back to visit. Last year we went to the event at Harpoon and it was awesome. Decided then and there that I was going to cook it. My buddies back east fabricated a bunch of UDS's, practiced up on our recipes and we are going to roll out 155 South (East) and see how it goes. We're also going to do a little bit of people's choice as well. We have a short menu highlighting Santa Maria Tri-tip sandwiches with pico de gallo and my all time favorite thrice cooked pommes frites finished in beef fat. Should be lots of fun. Hopefully we'll do respectably well, but it is a strong field, so anything beyond DFL is pretty much good with me.

Take care,

Matt

Matt, I live in southeastern Connecticut, so if you need some for your practice cook to hold you over until Fri. let me know.

I haven't lived in Southeastern CT for close to 20 years, but unless they relocated Fairfield County (where I assume you live based on your profile) you live in Southwestern CT my friend. I won't hold it against you :wink:. I definitely appreciate the generous offer for the practice cook, but I think we're good to go.

If you are going to be at Harpoon, stop by and introduce yourself and try some fries!

thrice cooked pommes frites finished in beef fat

hearteyes.gif

there isn't one that i know of.

order a gallon and have it shipped to your folks place.

but i've got about 1/2 a jar left to hold you over. i'm a bit north of wickedbbq'er, if that make's it any easier.

if you haven't tried it already, i can also give you a sample of some smokey mountain. it is pretty tasty.

I haven't tried Smokey Mountain. And I am always interested in trying something new. Are you going to be at Harpoon? I'd love to check it out.

Incidentally, I brought a couple of west coast sauces that you all might be interested in tasting. I'm using QN4U's Beef Sauce on my brisket and Bart's Blazin' Q on my chicken. QN4U is a multiple CBBQA Team of the Year and some of you may well know Brent and Kim Walton who I am lucky enough to have relied on for advice when we were just getting our feet wet. Great people and great product. I am not alone in loving their beef sauce. Very unique flavor profile. Now Bart's Blazin Q is the product of Dave and Deny Bart who compete in California and do a ton of catering. Super nice people who I am glad to call my friends. This sauce is really unique with substantial heat on the finish. We brought it with is to Las Vegas to the Smoke on the Water USA BBQ Championships. About a hundred teams showed up and the field was very strong. We poured it out of the bottle, let it come up to temp in the warm Vegas sun and turned it in for Dave and Deny. Wouldn't you know it, our good deed turned into a great deed when they won the whole thing just in time to add the championship title to the label they sent their co-packer. Soon enough the sauce will be commercially available, but you heard it here first.

If for whatever reason NEBBQ cant' fill your order (unlikely), let me know I have some for you.

Thanks for the offer!

You know when I was there last year and saw that you guys were part of this contest, it was one of the things that helped make up my mind to come and cook. That and the strong man event. That was hilarious. You certainly don't know this, but the first event we saw you at was the 2007 Jack. I just noticed you guys at the time because you were the Connecticut team. We really didn't know enough to do any more than get our butt kicked, but we had a good time and learned a ton. A team called Porkcrastinators really helped us going forward and also made literally the best pickles I have ever eaten. If that were a category at the Jack, they would have won, but I digress. Our next contact with you all was completely by chance. I was scouring the internet for ideas on pork shoulder and ended up shigging virtually from your Youtube video. You really have no idea how many teams in California benefited from your pork methodology. My rib recipe is a direct descendant of the ideas sparked by that video and since then I've taught two competition classes to benefit our CBBQA charities that discussed the rib recipe in explicit detail. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to thank you person.

Beyond that, I was excited to see several other former Jack contestants and generally well known and well regarded teams in attendance. I haven't stalked them (inadvertantly or virtually or otherwise) but I think contests with strong fields are always more fun.

Looking forward to making this an annual event on our competition calendar (travel budget and Harpoon permitting, of course)

See you soon,

Matt

I haven't lived in Southeastern CT for close to 20 years, but unless they relocated Fairfield County (where I assume you live based on your profile) you live in Southwestern CT my friend. I won't hold it against you :wink:. I definitely appreciate the generous offer for the practice cook, but I think we're good to go.

If you are going to be at Harpoon, stop by and introduce yourself and try some fries!

Well if you require specifics, I am working on my sisters house this week who is in southeastern CT, and yes I live in southwestern CT. Thanks for making me give the long answer to my quick reply!:wink: See you @Harpoon.

Well if you require specifics, I am working on my sisters house this week who is in southeastern CT, and yes I live in southwestern CT. Thanks for making me give the long answer to my quick reply!:wink: See you @Harpoon.

Now that explains it perfectly! Is your sister's place anywhere near East Lyme? Because if you get done early, I could use a hand on my house. :wink:

So far we've gutted it, reinforced all the 24 on center framing and the woefully inadequate joists, excavated the crawl space into a partial basement and replaced the electrical. I still need to do the plumbing, insulation, rock, and all finish carpentry including sanding the hardwood which I really hate. The BBQ contest is going to be a nice vacation from my vacation which really consists of doing work on what I hope will soon be my vacation and one day when I retire year round home (Boy was that a convoluted sentence).

At any rate, I can't say I'm surprised at the overwhelming response to my request for help, because that is just how this works on here. What a consistently great group, nationwide. However, despite my lack of surprise, I do appreciate the gestures and am looking forward to meeting all of you and introducing you to the east coast 155 South crew. Hopefully you all can help me keep them motivated and competing when I am back in California.

Take care,

Matt

Back