Pork collar snake river

Does that mean an organizer would require an additional rep just to do that, typically the judges are arriving around 10 so the reps are usually busy with them. From a former KCBS rep.

Yeah, being a rep is often a thankless job. In New England, we have the cooks, the judges, but sometimes short on reps. Add turn-in Gestapo to the job requirement and it may be even harder to find good reps.

I know this sounds stupid & I'll probaly regret posting it. If your going to do spot checks do it at 4am when almost every one will have their pork in the smoker unwrapped. Most people are up by then.....at least the stick burners are.

um no. skippy would be the prince consort of wannabebbq queen.

as far as i understand he has some thoughts on the KCBS pork rules.

you should know him, you roll in their used trailer.

i didn't quote you.

you for sure knoe him better than i, but,

i was actually hoping he had a web crawler that would catch his name, alert him, and join in.

from my conversations with him and julie they were very educated on the subject.

i just thought he might enjoy being part of the debate here.

no foul intended, jersey boy. you're living the dream, and i mean that in earnest.
Im issuing a stalker alert

fyi- Just got an email back from SRF that indicates they will be selling 5lb and larger cuts begining in the next few weeks.
Now if the cut were made legal, they'd be in business.

fyi- Just got an email back from SRF that indicates they will be selling 5lb and larger cuts begining in the next few weeks.
Now if the cut were made legal, they'd be in business.

Are they going to rename it? :becky:

Well, I have it and I am not publishing it, because I was told by someone else. Trust me, if I called SRF and they told me, I'd be busting folks balls right now. But because I heard it second hand info, I do not feel that is my right to be calling guys out. No matter how popular they are. they are cheating, plain and simple. But I can guarantee you that if I am at the same contest, they had best have a scale and an explanation why they are cooking illegal meat.... If the rules are not weighted evenly for all,I guarantee you someone will be suing the KCBS. It's happened in the past.. It will happen again. I feel fortunate that I have free legal advice... :becky:

we need a porki leaks guy. I want to know who has the list and how can we get it published? how about an Abe Lincoln quote?

“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.”

I can guarantee you that if I am at the same contest, they had best have a scale and an explanation why they are cooking illegal meat....

Are you then saying that the meat you cook for the pork category in KCBS comps is labeled as "Boston Butt," "Picnic," or "Whole Shoulder" by the packer and retailer? Are you willing to provide documentation of that, or an explaination why your meat is legal and some one else's is not? I have no disagreement over the 5lb issue, but if we are going to be calling people cheaters over the name of a cut of meat, we should be willing to live by our own standards, no?

dmp

yeah, why nolt? I have nothing to hide. Ever... I don't need to bend the rules to fit my weakness in cooking. I can stand on my own two feet and beat folks with substandard legal meats. I don't need any advantage. If I don't win, I sure am not going to bitch about my meat... Judging maybe... :becky: But if there is any question (sometimes I have to get smaller butts, I will bring the labeling AND my scale..) I have also gone as far as having the rep look at my meat. Just in case they are have not seen what I do with my pork. If the reps know me, then I don't worry about it. But all new reps, I will seek out.

i think he is talking about the fact that snake river farms only offered a 4 LB collar. now they say that the cut will be available over 5 LB. i think he's refering to the weight before this whole thing started and not the cut. me personally, i could care less. i dont care what is cooked by other teams. i really cant see a slightly different cut or undersized piece being an advantage anyway. there is always going to be a butcher who cuts a steak a slightly different way and calls it his own cut, like the new sam adams steak. He could call it what he wants but i still think its a strip steak. but the fact of the matter is whatever the butcher classifies his "new" cut as, its still a strip steak just like the collar is still a glorified butt. as long as its 5 pounds who cares

I think we still have two completely different debates going.
I don't think anybody dissagrees that if the cut is under 5lbs it's illegal.
The major conflict revolves around the naming of the legal cuts.
In my opinion, if you are not gaining a competitive advantage and are cooking a 5lb or larger hunk of meat from the shoulder, it's not cheating.

I just hope when it comes time for me to get my butts for the next contest, I don't find out that Sam's Club is labeling theirs as Pork Shoulder Butts instead of Boston Butts.

If pork collar is simply another name for what we all know as boston butt and the cut is over 5lb no one was cheating.

I'm going to start having my butcher call my pork loin, white meat butt. Or the belly as bacon butt. that's all cool then? I mean, they are all attached at some point... :thumb:

there has to be a clear definition and I believe that KCBS does that in the rules. No matter how many hairs can be split, it's still not a pork shoulder, butt or picnic. I don't care what Snake River Farms call it. I also know that a bunch of guys have sponsorship with SRF. doesn't make it anymore right.

I'll wait for a decision by the Board. I have a feeling which way it will be ruled.

I just hope when it comes time for me to get my butts for the next contest, I don't find out that Sam's Club is labeling theirs as Pork Shoulder Butts instead of Boston Butts.

Get ready for your hopes to be crushed. Sam's Club (near me anyway) sells Pork Shoulder Butts. I suggest you try to find a butcher who sells something distributed under the name "Boston Butt," or let the BOD know how this rule affects you.

dmp

That's kinda my point. How clear is the rule exactly? Who says a Pork Shoulder Butt or a Pork Butt is the same thing as a Boston Butt...and who says a Collar Butt isn't the same.
If we're following this rule that is so clear, then every Pork Shoulder Butt at your local Sams is illegal.

I think the spirit of the rule is fine, but the wording is waaaay to restrictive if we're to follow it to the letter.

I think some folks should worry about how to cook the meat, not how to get around the rules. If that is your advantage, awesome. the rules are clear, no matter how muddied you make the waters...

I now know why i have tried staying out of this discussion.

Back