Smithfield Spare Ribs Salt Content Question

Sleepy Smoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a cryovac 2-pack of Smithfield pork spare ribs. Unfortunately I purchased these a couple of months ago on a whim and without reading the label too closely. Earlier tonight I inspected the packaging and read that they have been injected with up to a 12% solution of pork broth, salt, etc. The salt content is listed at 300mg per serving, according to the nutritional info.

:doh:

I have read that one must be cautious to not over salt pork ribs that have been injected with this solution, even going so far as to say that the rub you add should be salt-free when dealing with these ribs. Otherwise they can turn out "hammy." Ham of course being a good thing, but not when you were craving some delicious BBQ ribs.

My question is this, my BBQ lovin' friends... can these ribs be salvaged? Would they turn out OK if I whip up a rub that is salt-free? Is there a method to draw out a portion of the salt solution? Buying fresh ribs is not out of the question, but I would like to find a way to use these as long as I can still turn out a good rack (or two).

Any advice? (Besides reading the label next time :oops:)

Thanks for reading and also for any help you might give.

Change the water every hour, eh? I'm wondering if I even have something big enough to soak them in, let alone find a way to keep them cold the entire time.

No thoughts on whether or not using a salt-free rub might work well?

You could cut em in half and use a turkey bag with water or apple juice maybe. A few changes in a 2-4 hour period would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't soak them, you will leech out even more flavour.

Give them a rinse and use them as is, but with a SALT FREE rub - one with a bit of sugar and spice in it to work with the salt from the brine.

The salt brine will be OK if you rinse the ribs off before smoking and don't use any more salt products in your rub. I'd serve them dry and smoke over hickory wood indirect until done and wrap in foil an hour before serving with sauce on the side. Always read labels before you purchase.

Back