MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
SmokeNride
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 1st Brisket, burnt ends question

Just took the brisket off the smoker, probe slid in like nothing was there. Wrapped in foil and towels, in the cooler. I want to make burnt ends. My question is can I separate the flat and point and just keep the flat wrapped in the cooler for a couple hours? Thanks much! Pron will be on it's way soon...
SmokeNride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
markpmc
Knows what a fatty is.

I separate mine about an hour before turn-in and put the flat back in the cooler.
markpmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
SmokeNride
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpmc View Post
I separate mine about an hour before turn-in and put the flat back in the cooler.
Thanks, I was talking more for home consumption. I did end up separating the two and putting the flat back in the cooler for later. Kept it in there until it got down to 145 degrees, then sliced. Unfortunately, it was dry. I was surprised, cuz when I poked it it went in with no resistance at all. Maybe next time I'll inject with something instead of just using a rub. Then I think I left the burnt ends in the smoker for too long. Oh well, we're always learnin'!!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Try using a pan, mine come out real juicy now. And I don't do burnt ends any more, I like the point just as it comes off the flat. DEELISH.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
SmokeNride
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Try using a pan, mine come out real juicy now. And I don't do burnt ends any more, I like the point just as it comes off the flat. DEELISH.
Thanks for the advice and you're right...I felt like I ruined the point, it was great right when I took it off!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post

Jim,

What exactly do you do? Do you cook it in the pan from the start and then cover with foil later? Do you add anything like broth, initially and when foiled?

Thanks,

Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNride View Post
Thanks, I was talking more for home consumption. I did end up separating the two and putting the flat back in the cooler for later. Kept it in there until it got down to 145 degrees, then sliced. Unfortunately, it was dry. I was surprised, cuz when I poked it it went in with no resistance at all. Maybe next time I'll inject with something instead of just using a rub. Then I think I left the burnt ends in the smoker for too long. Oh well, we're always learnin'!!
Separating the point after cooking wouldn't have any effect on the flat. If it was dry, chances are that it was a little overcooked.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
SmokeNride
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Separating the point after cooking wouldn't have any effect on the flat. If it was dry, chances are that it was a little overcooked.
I kind of figured it was too long, dry and fell apart way too easily. Is there maybe a MAX temperature of the meat, say "never cook it to 200" that I should be aware of??

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg60525 View Post
Jim,

What exactly do you do? Do you cook it in the pan from the start and then cover with foil later? Do you add anything like broth, initially and when foiled?

Thanks,
Greg, When I went to BBQ Judge class the instructor gave me his way of doing brisket. He made it very clear that he thinks brisket is the very worst cut of meat on the planet.

Anyway he does low and slow. Puts it in a foil pan, Fat side up or down? Smokes for however long, 6hrs?, then puts foil over the pan and finishes it covered for the last three.

I put a beer in the last one I did, seems like a waste but I can't drink any more so who cares.

My thought with this is, cook it as you would even though it's in the pan. and cover just after you get past the stall. All the drippings are in the pan and stay with the meat. AT about 195-200, I foiled out of the pan to let it rest for about an hour.

A few other Brethren have said they have also used this method. Maybe not the same but similar. Good luck.

Jim

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNride View Post
I kind of figured it was too long, dry and fell apart way too easily. Is there maybe a MAX temperature of the meat, say "never cook it to 200" that I should be aware of??
Unfortunately, not really. there is a window of opportunity where it is tender but not over cooked. the key is to catch it in that window. No magic that i know of.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

I wait till mine hit 185-190 then probe till butter like feel. Wrap as you do and cooler, so far this has worked with great results, However I use a water pan between the fire and the racks. What are you cooking with? I will usually put some butts on as not to waste fuel, the temp of all the meat in the cooler will keep everything nice and hot for a few hours. I also have put about a tsp - tbsp of apple juice in the foil with pork, Beef broth with Brisky. This may or may not help but it definitely does not hurt.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
SmokeNride
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks everyone, a lot of good tips. I will say this: the leftovers today taste great!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

Keep in mind the temps will actually keep climbing a few degrees after taking it off. Thats one of the reasons you wrap it up and let it rest in a cooler so it can rest and finish cooking.
I just did a brisket last weekend and the flat was good but the point was still tough. So I cubed the point and put it back in the pan and back in the smoker where I still had a couple butts still smoking.
I let the burnt ends go a bit long but they were more tender than when they went in.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote