Alton Brown BBQ's some Chicken

I usually really enjoy this show but the ring of fire???? WTF. Why not just build a fire on one half of the kettle? Grill. Then off to the other side for a indirect finish.

Last edited:
HA! They always sell the leftover Red ones at the dollar store! Thats why Mr. Ring of Fire has one.

He BBQs brisket in his oven. :tsk:

I usually really enjoy this show but the ring of fire???? WTF. Why not just build a fire on one half of the kettle? Grill. Then off to the other side for a indirect finish.

I actually tried this method some years ago a few times; it works fine, but as you said, why not do the direct/indirect? The answer is it's not as sexy or cool for TV compared to the way he did it...that's my guess.

I think he does it because it gives him 4 distinct temp zones -- over the fire, under the pan, on top of the pan, leaning against the pan. I'm gonna try it.

Never tried ring of fire. Know I HAD ring of fire after too many Coors Extra Golds back in the 80's....

I like AB and some of his techniques.
I watched that episode and had the following impressions.
I worry about aluminum foil touching burning charcoal. Foil melts at 1220 F and I think lump charcoal can burn at 2000 F.
He burnt his chicken, I know he says he likes it charred, but I don't.
All the timed moves of that chicken? Talk about confusing.

He burnt his chicken, I know he says he likes it charred, but I don't.
All the timed moves of that chicken? Talk about confusing.

I would have to agree. A lil "extra dark" on beef or pork aint to bad. But on chicken..tastes like burnt hair to me. And yeah, grilling imo should be kept simple. Why make it difficult?

That is one dig I have against him. He tends to do "signature" things (out of the ordinary) just to be different or quirky (that may or may not work better than a standard procedure).

What irritates me is that he doesn't make a disclaimer that we he is doing is out of the norm... he makes it seem as though his way IS the accepted standard or only way that it is done...

he said two things that caught my attention:

1. take the chicken to 155 internal :shocked:
2. "barbecued flavor chicken, since you can't technically barbecue a chicken, at least not in the south" why not?

I like Alton- he brings a ton of technical knowledge and great ideas to his show, but sometimes his methods seem more like novelty ideas. And imho, that is just way too much work to put into preparing and cooking one single chicken.

"barbecued flavor chicken, since you can't technically barbecue a chicken, at least not in the south" why not?

Depending on who you talk to, "traditional" southern BBQ is exclusively pork because of it's abundance and low cost, except for in Texas where "traditional BBQ" is exclusively beef, probably due to the fact that its where the majority of cattle came from.

*Also, i would think that chicken doesn't have enough fat content to survive real low & slow smoking and could be easily overwhelmed by the smoky flavor.

Depending on who you talk to, "traditional" southern BBQ is exclusively pork because of it's abundance and low cost, except for in Texas where "traditional BBQ" is exclusively beef, probably due to the fact that its where the majority of cattle came from.

*Also, i would think that chicken doesn't have enough fat content to survive real low & slow smoking and could be easily overwhelmed by the smoky flavor.

What he said! In the south, for traditionalists, only pork is barbecue.

Chicken can't be BBQ because it is not cooked low and slow, IMO. I saw the episode. I like AB and I think the method is worth a try one day. The only problem is he didn't rub it with Plowboy's Yardbird or Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple...that right there is Good Eats!

Back